PDA

View Full Version : High and low shots

pittbull46
09-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Have a 110 in 6.5 cm and chi barrel shoot one shot on next is low seems every other shot is low only thing I see is tang has no clearance could that cause the high and low

CFJunkie
09-26-2019, 03:13 PM
I find that I usually have first shots high when the barrel is cold and clean. It takes at least one shot to foul the barrel, sometimes 2, then my Savages lock in and shoot great. I zero my scope for the shots that group and don't get excited about the first one.
If all the other shots are grouping, you may be seeing the same effect.

If a cold, fouled barrel shoots high and then the next shots are all shoot low, then if you are using if for hunting, then you better be sure the rifle is sighted in on a cold barrel.
If you're target shooting and the first shot is always high out of a cold barrel, that is what sighters are for.

pittbull46
09-26-2019, 03:45 PM
Is shoots high and low with a fouled barrel every other shot

Robinhood
09-26-2019, 09:42 PM
It is your setup on the shooting bench.

Please proof read what you typed before you post. You will learn a lot about why you may not get the answers you need. By this I mean put yourself in our shoes. How much information have we been given. Are you shooting off of bags/bipod/or offhand? Did you reload or is it factory ammo. Is there history of the brass.

Robinhood

pittbull46
09-27-2019, 08:35 AM
Sorry shooting off seb max rest with reloads shot same ammo out of different rifle and it shot good everything was tight every other shot would hit low for about 20 rounds

PhilC
09-27-2019, 12:18 PM
It's possible the other rifle liked the reload but this one is different so you may need to tailor reload to this rifle. I don't know what a "chi" barrel is.

charlie b
09-27-2019, 09:40 PM
It would be nice to know if it has always done this or does it just happen with this ammo? How many rounds have you fired through the rifle? Is it a new rifle or has someone done some work to it (don't know what a chi barrel is either) or did you just buy it used and are only going by what the seller told you? What stock does it have on it? If one of the flexible plastic stocks you could be forcing the stock to touch the barrel every now and then. Have you made sure the scope and mounts are tight? Is the scope any good? Do you have another scope to try on it?

How much high and low at what range? Windy or calm? I will assume by your statement that your handloads are ok. Try some decent factory ammo and see how it shoots or at least try a different load.

want2ride
09-28-2019, 05:11 PM
I have seen this with a loose pic rail. It might be a good place to start.

Robinhood
09-28-2019, 08:39 PM
Loose rail, loose rings, cheap scope, inconsistent powder throws, inconsistent neck tension, loose action screws, inconsistent cheek weld/parallax, incorrect powder weight and or something we do not know about.