PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Savage 220 Bolt Sticks After Firing

USMC1989
09-24-2019, 08:06 PM
I have a Savage 220 that I bought used. The bolt is EXTREMELY difficult to open until the weapon is cocked. If I dry fire it or fire it with a round, it is the same (very hard to open). I took apart the bolt which had been neglected and cleaned it thoroughly yet the problem persists. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

V/R,

USMC1989

J.Baker
09-25-2019, 04:23 AM
Haven't fondled a 220 in a good many years (not since I reviewed on when they first came out), but I don't recall it being any worse than any Savage 110 or Axis as far as bolt lift/cocking effort goes. Savage rifles are a bit notorious for having timing issues which is what causes the hard bolt lift - just something you learn to live with.

One thing that can/will help is putting on a longer bolt handle which will provide more leverage. Also, if the bolt was funky (dried solvents and such) it would be worthwhile to give the inside of the action a good thorough cleaning as well - particularly the raceways and lug ramps.

USMC1989
09-25-2019, 09:53 PM
Mr. Baker,

I will give the cleaning a try. I'm just curious as to why it only happens when no longer cocked. To me that speaks to a mechanical issue. I wish I understood how an uncocked bolt may have a different position or reason to lock up than an uncocked bolt.

Fulldraw_76
09-26-2019, 09:11 AM
The Savage slug guns are notorious for having tough actions but what you are describing does not sound normal.
I would recommend contacting Savage and sending this back to get checked out or having a local gunsmith look at it. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

USMC1989
09-26-2019, 02:33 PM
Thanks Fulldraw 76. Savage has been contacted.

yoda4x4
01-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Thanks Fulldraw 76. Savage has been contacted.Fulldraw 76 - so what happened to this? What did Savage say or do?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk