PDA

View Full Version : Changing the barrel of a mod 10 from .223 to .308

DeepCreekSteve
09-22-2019, 10:21 PM
Hello all. Im new to the savage line of rifles. I recently bought a model 10 in 223 with the older style Ultimate Sniper Choate stock. I have watched a few youtube videos and was wondering if someone could give me more details on switching out the barrel to a 308 or maybe a 6.5CM. I would like to know what parts are needed and what parts can be brought over from the original rifle. Again, Im new to Savage rifles so please don't feel to provide as much detail as possible.

Thanks ahead of time, Steve aka Nick the New Guy.

celltech
09-22-2019, 11:11 PM
New larger bolt head, shorter baffle, barrel, and larger magazine are technically all the parts you need. If you are changing the barrel yourself then you will need a barrel vice and barrel nut wrench to get the old one off. Putting it back on you need a headspace GO gauge and either buy a NO-GO gauge or just shim the GO with tape or shim stock.

Shooter0302
10-01-2019, 07:37 PM
Here is what I suggest;
1. Put your location,ie, a town, like Quantico, , not your zip code
2.Post a question, any savage shooters near you, and ask for their help.
3.In another post about wait time for new barrels, it 's brought out that some chamberings have a long wait time so decide what clambering you want and from which barrel seller/maker and order it, also check the classifieds, a barrel you might want will turn up.
4. Also check the barrel sellers , they may have Savage OME barrels for sale in something you like .

Robinhood
10-01-2019, 10:15 PM
To add one thing to celltech's reply is you will need to adjust the firing pin protrusion if you change the bolt head.

JeepsAndGuns
10-02-2019, 12:42 PM
I'm going to be the one to say this:
Unless you got this rifle for a ridiculously cheap price, you might want to think about looking for a rifle already in the caliber you are wanting, and selling the one you have now.
You can very quickly spend more money than you would have if you had simply bought one in the configuration you wanted. Unless you have a very specific configuration you want, that is not offered from the factory.
Now I just did the opposite, I converted a 308 to 223. But I did this to a left hand model which are not as common as right handed models. Plus I had a specific barrel length and twist rate I wanted, so I built it. I did spend more money than what I could have probably bought one for, but I could not find one in left hand/223 like I wanted, so I had to build it.
I would price out the parts you need and what it is all going to cost and weigh your options.

BB68
10-02-2019, 02:19 PM
Another option wait for black Friday and buy a 12FV from cabelas/basspro then swap stocks and sell your 223. As long as the bolt spacing is the same.

Bill2905
10-02-2019, 08:36 PM
To add one thing to celltech's reply is you will need to adjust the firing pin protrusion if you change the bolt head.

Robinhood,

I'm not very knowledgeable about the functioning or adjustment of firing pins. What is the reason or purpose for this adjustment? Is it because of differences in bolt head tolerances?

Thanks,

yobuck
10-03-2019, 08:10 AM
I'm going to be the one to say this:
Unless you got this rifle for a ridiculously cheap price, you might want to think about looking for a rifle already in the caliber you are wanting, and selling the one you have now.
You can very quickly spend more money than you would have if you had simply bought one in the configuration you wanted. Unless you have a very specific configuration you want, that is not offered from the factory.
Now I just did the opposite, I converted a 308 to 223. But I did this to a left hand model which are not as common as right handed models. Plus I had a specific barrel length and twist rate I wanted, so I built it. I did spend more money than what I could have probably bought one for, but I could not find one in left hand/223 like I wanted, so I had to build it.
I would price out the parts you need and what it is all going to cost and weigh your options.

Same goes for fixing up old Jeeps, right?
Hey i coulda had a V/8, i mean a new Rubicon. Lol