PDA

View Full Version : How to remove extreme copper galling from a brand new barrel?

Pages : [1] 2

JeepsAndGuns
09-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Brand new shilen barrel on a custom build (not a savage). Barrel had never been fired. I shot 20 rounds through it and noticed a tight spot when cleaning it about mid way through the barrel, between 10-11 inches from the breech.
I use my lyman bore cam to see what is going on and I find this:

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772129836_f0a4559288_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772328407_a5f513d170_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772129791_e05e403edf_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772328327_bdf32f90f0_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772129751_a5d85c57cf_n.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48772129726_8326ba1052_n.jpg

This area is only about 1-2 inches long. The rest of the bore looks fine/has no copper. I have been using foaming bore cleaner, sweets 762, and some VFG pellets with JB bore paste on them. Nothing seems to be doing anything to this thick galling. I have never had a bore with copper in it as thick as this, especially after only 20 rounds! Any time I have had copper in a bore, a quick treatment with JB bore paste cleaned it right out in no time. This stuff is on there so thick, I am at a loss of what to do with it. You can feel this spot when pushing a patch down the bore with a cleaning rod. It feels like "rough" or "slightly tight" spot in the bore because the buildup is so thick.
Was shooting factory ammo (S&B), so it was not a super hot handload or anything.
I am at a loss as to why this would happen, and how to remove it.

celltech
09-21-2019, 08:37 PM
Time for electrolytic cleaning?

hamiltonkiler
09-21-2019, 08:40 PM
You should look down my pipe. Then shoot it.

What is your performance? Group wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas10
09-21-2019, 09:41 PM
I'd be contacting Shilen, and look into sending it back. Is it a select match barrel? Their select match grade barrels are air gaged and tight spots like that are removed. Watched them doing that at the factory a couple of years ago. They've got some amazing equipment :first:

I'm certainly no expert but it looks to me like you've got a trouble maker there and no amount of hand polishing is going to fix it.

Robinhood
09-21-2019, 10:12 PM
Texas 10 Gets a Like

Texas10
09-22-2019, 08:23 AM
Thank, RH. I always appreciate a like, but am worried...did you get a LAKE with that T.S? Holy cow that was a lot of rain !!
Was that yet another 500 yr. flood in the past 2 years?

wbm
09-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Texas 10 Gets a Like

sharpshooter
09-22-2019, 12:41 PM
Plug the bore and fill it full of Sweet's for a coupla days.

JeepsAndGuns
09-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Plug the bore and fill it full of Sweet's for a coupla days.

I thought that stuff was not supposed to stay in a barrel longer than 15 min?

I did take a plug the bore with a earplug and fill it with some shooters choice MC-7 and let it soak all day sunday. I had been using it when breaking in this barrel and two others. The patches turned blue and it seemed to work pretty good on the copper. So I figured letting it soak in it could help. Well, it did not. It did nothing.
The confusing part, was I did not feel the rough/tight spot the whole time during break in. I was doing the 1 shot and clean for the first 5, then shot 5 and cleaned, shot 5 and cleaned, then shot the last 5 and went home to finish. It was then that I felt the tight/rough spot. So I swear this had to have happened on the last 5 rounds. Maybe it started sooner, but did not build up enough to feel until the last 5? I cleaned until the patches were no longer blue between firings.
I let it soak in some foaming bore cleaner several times to no avail. Usually that stuff always comes out blue. It did the first time right after I got back from the range, but after the first time, it no longer comes out blue.
I ordered some KG-12 bore cleaner. I have been seeing a lot of reviews about it saying it is really good for copper removal. I guess we will see.

scootergisme
09-23-2019, 01:12 PM
I agree with Texas10, Robinhood and wbm! I would think that Shilen would like to know about the defect and make it right.

sharpshooter
09-24-2019, 12:44 AM
Well, first of all this notion that something bad will happen after 15 minutes is total BS. Ammonia is a base, not an acid. It will do nothing to steel. The fact is that if you apply Sweets with a patch, in 15 min. it is totally spent and has dissolved all of the copper that amount will do, and now is just evaporating. By the time you push a patch through the throat, you have essentially wrung most of the solvent out of the patch, so now it is not even really "wet", just moist. Most of the blue comes from the ammonia working on the brass jag because it has the most surface area. Once that "moist" patch is pushed through the bore, it only takes a matter of a few minutes for it to evaporate, giving the "less than adequate amount" of solvent enough time to just clean the tarnish off the copper fouling before it is expended. If you fire more shoots at this stage, the copper fouling will only get worse, because you have essentially "fluxed" the remaining copper and subsequent firing will make the copper fouling adhere easier.
Let the solvent do the work! Put enough in to do the job. Don't use a brush, or a patch, use a MOP. Make it sopping wet as it can be. Let it set for 15 minutes,after that, it's not dissolving anymore. Then push it out with a patch and do it again, or maybe more if it's not gone yet. If it's bad as yours looks, plug it at the chamber and fill to the muzzle. In 2 days , you will push a big blue goober out of the end.
Once you get all the copper out, if you notice any pitting, it was caused by galvanic corrosion, not by solvent. Galvanic corrosion occurs between the copper fouling and the barrel. Copper solvent only reveals what is underneath once the copper is gone. That's why it's important to stay on top of copper fouling.....the longer it sets with it, the worse the corrosion.

Rstrick0352
09-24-2019, 05:31 PM
Well, first of all this notion that something bad will happen after 15 minutes is total BS. Ammonia is a base, not an acid. It will do nothing to steel. The fact is that if you apply Sweets with a patch, in 15 min. it is totally spent and has dissolved all of the copper that amount will do, and now is just evaporating. By the time you push a patch through the throat, you have essentially wrung most of the solvent out of the patch, so now it is not even really "wet", just moist. Most of the blue comes from the ammonia working on the brass jag because it has the most surface area. Once that "moist" patch is pushed through the bore, it only takes a matter of a few minutes for it to evaporate, giving the "less than adequate amount" of solvent enough time to just clean the tarnish off the copper fouling before it is expended. If you fire more shoots at this stage, the copper fouling will only get worse, because you have essentially "fluxed" the remaining copper and subsequent firing will make the copper fouling adhere easier.
Let the solvent do the work! Put enough in to do the job. Don't use a brush, or a patch, use a MOP. Make it sopping wet as it can be. Let it set for 15 minutes,after that, it's not dissolving anymore. Then push it out with a patch and do it again, or maybe more if it's not gone yet. If it's bad as yours looks, plug it at the chamber and fill to the muzzle. In 2 days , you will push a big blue goober out of the end.
Once you get all the copper out, if you notice any pitting, it was caused by galvanic corrosion, not by solvent. Galvanic corrosion occurs between the copper fouling and the barrel. Copper solvent only reveals what is underneath once the copper is gone. That's why it's important to stay on top of copper fouling.....the longer it sets with it, the worse the corrosion.

This was great. Thank you for such an informative post.

Texas10
09-25-2019, 11:26 PM

This makes good sense, and possibly the carbon laying between the steel and copper layers might add to the corrosion too. I did some quick research and found this article: http://www.worldstainless.org/Files/issf/non-image-files/PDF/Euro_Inox/Contact_with_Other_EN.pdf

See page 12 regarding using copper fittings on Stainless Steel pipes and tell me (us) what your thinking is. I'm no metallurgist so I'm genuinely interested. I've not done my best to rid my barrels of copper during each cleaning, so I may be missing the boat by no doing so. I do use a camera to look inside so I am able to confirm my cleaning methods will get it all.

sharpshooter
09-26-2019, 11:26 AM
The chart is fairly vague and I'm no plumber, but I do know that copper fittings and such used in plumbing are not the same alloy used in bullet jackets.

JeepsAndGuns
09-26-2019, 12:21 PM
My comment on not leaving it in for longer than 15 min is based simply what it says on the bottle. I tend to follow the instructions. If it says not to leave it in longer than 15 min, I will not.
I am no metallurgist or chemist, so I do not know what will and will not harm a barrel on the chemical side.
Still waiting for the KG12 I ordered to come in. If it does not work, I will plug the bore and fill it with the sweets.

wbm
09-26-2019, 12:37 PM
Lilja Barrels Answer.

Q. What does Lilja Rifle Barrels think of the use of bore solvents with ammonia?

A. While we're aware of "bad press" associated with the use of cleaners with
ammonia as part of the solution, we have never seen any damage in one of our barrels
caused by the use of ammonia. The rumor is that copper-removing cleaners with ammonia
will pit and damage the interior surface of a barrel. Ammonia is very effective as a
copper remover. We use solvents, such as Butch's Bore Shine, to remove copper during
the break-in. We routinely leave Butch's solution in the barrel over night too. Again,
I repeat, we have never seen a problem with ammonia in the concentrations found in
commercial cleaners, in either our chrome-moly or stainless steel barrels. This includes
examination with our borescope.

sharpshooter
09-26-2019, 09:00 PM
^ My findings...exactly.

GaCop
09-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Interesting posting. I learn something every time I come here!:thumb:

BB68
09-27-2019, 11:59 AM
me too

JeepsAndGuns
09-28-2019, 07:26 PM
The KG-12 showed up friday. It says it has no ammonia, but it kinda smells ammonia like. Maybe it is just another chemical that smells like it.
I wet a patch and work it through the bore a few times, wet it again and work it through the bore a few times then let it soak for a couple min. I push a clean patch through the bore. No blue color or any color other than the yellow color of the solution. It said it will not turn blue because it does not have ammonia in it.
I inspect with my camera. It is actually starting to dissolve some of it. The copper that was in the grooves was starting to fade, but there was still the big globs on the lands. I repeat the procedure a couple more times and it is slowly working, the globs were shrinking, but I had some things I was needing to do. I said hell with it, stuck a ear plug in the muzzle, put it muzzle down in a bucket and fill the bore with this stuff.
I let it soak for a couple hours. I pull the earplug out then push a clean patch down the bore. I inspect it with my camera and the copper is GONE. Not a trace anywhere. All the big globs of it and all the galling were gone. Holy cow, I could not believe it. I run a couple patches of hoppes down the bore just to clean out any residue of the KG12 (just in case).
This morning I give the bore a treatment with some JB bore paste to try and help smooth things up. Everything looks good on the bore cam.
I took it to the range this afternoon and did something I do not usually do. I shot a box of 20 rounds of steel jacket ammo through it. I typically avoid steel jacket bullets/ammo like the plague. But I felt like the slightly harder steel jacket might help smooth out any remaining burs, and might have a much smaller chance of sticking to the bore like copper did.
Accuracy sucked (naturally, like all cheap steel cased ammo does). I get home and clean. I inspect the bore and find no surprises. No buildup or galling. I give it another treatment of JB bore paste, and that is where I am at right now.
When I get some time again, I plan on shooting some slightly better copper jacket ammo through it (better than the cheap S&B I used for the first time). After that, if everything goes ok and no galling, I will switch to handloading.

I will say I was impressed with the KG-12. I would highly recommend it to anyone who has a lot of copper in their bore.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1078144092?pid=144092