PDA

View Full Version : Several questions about my first Savage

Altair
10-25-2010, 02:08 PM
I will be taking delivery on my first Savage platform rifle, a Stevens 200 in .223 Rem. I picked it up to learn the platform as I've heard so many good things about Savage centerfire rifles. The big selling points for me were the price, accuracy, and they are user friendly for the do it yourselfer.

Here's what I'd like to know:

Is there a tutorial on this site about breaking down and assembling a rifle? Specifically what is required to change calibers, triggers, and stocks? If so, is it in the paid member only area?

I assume any Savage rifle from the factory in .223 Rem has a .223 Rem chamber, not a 5.56 or Wylde chamber, right?

Has anyone here ever SBR'd their bolt action? I'm thinking about turning this into a 300/221 (300 Whisper) project if I like the rifle and I like short barrels (around 12") for that caliber.

Does anyone make a stock for the rifle that breaks down (ie the main stock body behind the trigger comes off for storage)? I'm not worried about legalities of overal length with the stock broken down because I would only do it if I SBR the receiver and it wouldn't matter.

Thanks,
Altair

82boy
10-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Is there a tutorial on this site about breaking down and assembling a rifle? Specifically what is required to change calibers, triggers, and stocks? If so, is it in the paid member only area?

There is a lot of information in the FAQs section, and in the search feature.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/board,38.0.html

IHas anyone here ever SBR'd their bolt action? I'm thinking about turning this into a 300/221 (300 Whisper) project if I like the rifle and I like short barrels (around 12") for that caliber.

What is "SBR'd ?" Many have built 300 wispers, and other wildcat short barreld guns.

Does anyone make a stock for the rifle that breaks down (ie the main stock body behind the trigger comes off for storage)? I'm not worried about legalities of overal length with the stock broken down because I would only do it if I SBR the receiver and it wouldn't matter.

Not that I know of. There is a few company's that make stocks with AR15 collapsible but stocks, and Choate makes a side folder, but that is about it. Why would you want such a thing?

Altair
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
An SBR is a short barreled rifle. A rifle with a barrel less than 16" that is defined as a short barreled rifle under NFA and requires a tax stamp. I'm interested in the SBR version for the 300/221 as the ideal barrel length for subsonic suppressed rounds in that cartridge is around 10"-12". If you shoot the same subsonic load through a 12" barrel and a 16" barrel it will actually be going slower in the 16" as friction of the barrel has started to exceed the acceleration from expanding gas. I already own a 300/221 in the AR platform and love it but a bolt action will be a bit quieter and should feed the Outlaw State expanding subsonic bullets. They won't feed in the AR plarform well because of the large hollowpoint and round nose design.

Since it will have a short barrel and a quick detach suppressor, I figured why not a detachable stock and a QD scope mount so I could put the whole thing in a case no bigger than about 16"x12". I have a Larue QD scope on one of my AR's and it holds zero taking it on and off so the whole thing could break down to very small components. It isn't a need by any stretch, just a thought I had. Of course, I don't even have the rifle yet so I'm getting ahead of myself...

sha-ul
10-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Savage sells a rifle with a folding stock, I think they are getting it from an aftermarket supplier, might do what you need
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/10FP%20FOLDING%20CHOATE

hotbrass
10-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Yes, that aftermarket supplier is Choate.

sha-ul
10-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I found these sellers after a quick search
http://www.riflestock.com/catalog_page.cfm?PCID=1&MID=2&PSCID=251&Lev=S3
http://www.combatstocks.com/choate-products.cfm

GaCop
10-26-2010, 06:28 AM
I haven't read very good reports about the Choate folding stock, too much slack/movement in the folding mechanism.

Altair
10-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the stock info. I'll see if I can find a Choate folder that I can look at before I buy anything to see about the slack and how it feels.

Can anyone confirm the chamber dimention on the .223 (ie a .223 Rem, not 5.56 NATO or .223 Wylde)?

Also, I'd still love to see a picture of a Savage bolt action chopped down into a short barreled rifle, especially with suppressor attached, if anyone has done that here.

GaCop
10-27-2010, 07:37 AM
If marked "223" it will be similar dimensions to the 5.56 except for a shorter lead.

Altair
10-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm familiar with the differences in the chambers. I was just curious which spec Savage used and expected it to be the SAAMI .223 Rem. I was just curious as I've worked up handloadsd for my AR's using Ramshot's (and Barnes') 5.56 pressure data, not .223 Rem (there's a significant difference). Regardless of what is claimed by Savage I still intend to start over with this rifle but was curious what to expect.

According to package tracking the rifle is being delivered today so I'll know more very soon.

Blue Avenger
10-28-2010, 12:15 PM
If it says .223 rem, that is what it is. savage dose not do nato or wylde. to many lawyers in the world to play the games you guys dream up.