PDA

View Full Version : model 10 precision carbine and Bifrost

firehand
09-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Guys I have a model 10 precision carbine that I rebarreled to 6x68 and used .250 recoil lug and stainless barrel nut from shooters supply. The rifle shoots lights out with the factory accustock. Europtic put the Bifrost on sale and I purchased one. Groups went to hell. Pulled the action out of the Bifrost and back in the accustock and light out. Looking at the inlets, the accustock inlet around the barrel nut and recoil lug is vertical. The Grs is round. Looking at the Grs after I pulled the action out you can see where what looks like the barrel nut is making contact just above the recoil lug inlet. Got in touch with the Grs rep and he sent me a stock with top bolt release to see if the inlet issue around the barrel nut was what I needed. Its not. It measures about .010 wider at the same point that I get the interference with the bottom bolt release stock I have. Grs is thinking that the issue is with aftermarket recoil lug. I can't seem to find my original recoil lug but I swear that the overall dimensions are the same just thicker. I contacted Grs twice before I bought the stock to confirm that the recoil lug inlet was big enough for the .250 lug and to also confirm what I needed for bottom bolt release. The stock I bought was a 16, the stock the rep sent me was for 10/12 top release. Any body else have this issue or recommendations? Love the stock but going from .5 moa or better with accustock to 3 inches with Bifrost is a no go. I hate to have to find someone to mill the 16 bifrost and still not shoot.

Mike

olddav
09-18-2019, 07:55 AM
I do not have any experience with a Bifrost stock but with all Savage rifles check the tang for clearance as well as the barrel. In addition check the depth of the recoil lug recess. Any clearance issues that you have can be corrected with a Dremel tool if you don’t mind a bit of hidden ugly (your call).
The model 10,11,12,14 and 16 are all the same basic model assuming they are all top bolt release/bottom bolt release, accutrigger/pre accutrigger as examples.

varget204
09-19-2019, 12:08 AM
The factory recoil lug is 3/16" w/a .250 lug you would have to remove some material

Robinhood
09-19-2019, 11:32 PM
If you have a feeler gauge set, install the action back in the GRS stock and try to slide the .002" or .003" under the front of the action. you can put a piece of paper under the front of the action and then tighten and see if it will pull out also. Try it under the barrel nut as well. What did you find?

firehand
09-23-2019, 09:12 AM
Not at home but I when I get back I will try. So the barrel nut is not supposed to make contact with the stock. How about the outer ring on the recoil lug? I'm going to have to find out exactly where recoil lug contact with the stock starts and stops so if I need to remove material I am not removing from a critical area. The inlet for the lug is big enough for the .250. I double checked with Grs before I bought it. I had to machine the lug area in order for it to fit in the factory accustock. How i hate to use webhosting just to post pictures......