PDA

View Full Version : Build Issues

260Savage
09-07-2019, 01:39 PM
Hey fellas, I need a little help. I'm just wrapping up (or so I thought) my second rifle build. I thought I had everything set up on a build with a Savage Axis action but now when I put in my rounds, the bolt won't close. I used both a go gauge and a no go gauge and that checks out. I even double checked it. As I have tried to figure this out, I put a piece of unloaded brass in the action and I think I could get the bolt to close if I forced it, but obviously that isn't right. Does anyone have any suggestions?

sharpshooter
09-07-2019, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the brass is not sized to same shoulder height as the go gauge, or it just isn't snapping over the extractor. Remove the extractor and try it.

HandgunHTR
09-18-2019, 05:31 PM
New brass or once-fired? If new, it may be the extractor issue as pointed out. If once-fired, the shoulder may need to be bumped back a bit more, as pointed out.

The other issue may be the neck diameter. If you have a tight-necked chamber and you are sizing necks down (for a wildcat), the necks may be too thick and the OD may be a bit large.