PDA

View Full Version : Reloading Savage 99 250/3000 with cast bullets.

Savage 94C
09-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Originally posted this in the 'Vintage Centerfire' section with no results. I have a 1929 TD 99 in 250/3000. I cast for a variety of handgun and rifles (mostly MILSURP, lever, and Rem 81) and have been doing so since '79. I would like to cast some bullets for the 1 in 14" Savage, mostly in the 80-95 grain range, but don't want to play the game of buying a mold, having it not work, maybe buying another, etc. until I find one that works well in the rifle. I only reload 75 and 87 grain jacketed bullets and have excellent results with those, but would like a cast bullet for just target shooting. No plans to hunt deer. Wondering if anyone has had good luck with any certain mold for the 99. Any info appreciated. Have searched the web and this forum with some results, but nothing in the area I'm looking for. Tried searching this forum with no results and started checking page by page, but thought I'd try posting for info. Thanks for any information.

Savage 94C
09-03-2019, 10:34 PM
I did find some info online that suggested using a Lyman 257420, a 70 grain bullet. A RCBS 25-85 CM, a 85 grain bullet. And molds from NOE: 260-80RF, a 80 grainer or 260-89FN, a 89 grain cast bullet. Some of these were reported to be shot in a bolt action 250 Savage. My basic want is for the Savage 99, although I do have a Ruger 77 bolt gun in 250 Savage, if one of these molds or any suggested for a 99 would work in the Ruger, I'd have no complaints.

mikeinco
09-04-2019, 11:57 AM
go do a search on "cast boolits"
it is THE place to be in cast
your heavy bullets do not sound good in a 14 twist bbl.
go lite 50 or so

Savage 94C
09-07-2019, 08:21 AM
The molds/bullets I posted are all under 100 grains. Fifty would be to light. I reload 75 and 87 grain jacketed bullets with a lot of success, so want to stay in the area of those grain weights. Both work well in the Savage 14" twist. Not planning to hunt deer or similar sized game with it. Be using them mostly for target/plinking.

Anyone know of any casters offering 25 cal bullets for sale, specifically any in the two NOE molds I mentioned or the Lyman. Would like to do trial runs with some before buying a mold.

charlie b
09-07-2019, 10:56 AM
https://www.montanabulletworks.com/product-category/rifle/

I have used these folks. Great service if they have the ones you want to try.

I am testing .30 cal bullets for my rifle nowmand this has saved me a it of money.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Savage 94C
10-28-2019, 11:32 PM
A bit pricey than I want to pay. Can buy jacketed HP or SP Speer, Hornady, or Sierra's cheaper than Montana's prices. That's why I'm looking for a tried and tested mold for the 250 caliber Savage 99, to get away from high cost of jacketed bullets.

charlie b
10-29-2019, 10:40 PM
I guess I didn't make myself clear.

Look through Montana's offerings and see if there is a mold you are interested in. Buy a box of bullets and see how they do. If they shoot well for you then buy the mold. If not, you didn't waste $100 on a mold you won't use.

PS no I do not mean buy the mold that Montana has listed, just the bullets (they don't sell the molds). Buy the mold from someone like Midway.

Savage 94C
10-30-2019, 10:29 AM
Thanks charlie'-At the time I read yer post I thought that was possibly what you were referring to, but wasn't real sure. Have had a busy fall and haven't gotten as much done as planned, including getting a 25 caliber mold for my 250 Savage rifles. Going to pursue it in the coming months. Thanks for your update.

Three44s
11-28-2019, 11:43 AM
Seriously as another member suggested do a search over at the cast boolits forum.

If you can not search without membership, then join and partake! It is free and they do not bite. There are Savage lever gun lovers a plenty and you will need the red carpet they will roll out for you for selecting a mold is only the begining.

Best of luck and Happy Thanksgiving to all here at the Savage forum!

Three44s