PDA

View Full Version : Brand new Stealth Evolution 6.5 not ejecting spent brass

Albertaktm
08-30-2019, 08:41 PM
Took it to the range this afternoon first time. Just bought it this week. It didn’t eject the first cartridge. Pulled a bit harder on the bolt then it worked. Adjusted the scope. Didn’t eject the next. Pulled a bit harder on the next few. Then no more. Basically had to dump the mag to drop out the brass. Of course. Got home, after hrs at savage now. For the long weekend of course! Any body have any ideas what I could do so I can shoot this long weekend?

JW
08-31-2019, 07:11 AM
Try cleaning the barrel with a little extra cleaning on the chamber--there might be some crud in there preventing easy extraction.
I would also check the extractor on the bolt head and make sure it can move.
Extractor is kept in place by a spring and a detent ball but should "wobble" a small amount when pressing on the extractor.
Jack

Albertaktm
08-31-2019, 08:32 PM
Thanks for the tips but I have since tried that. Removed the clip, steel ball and spring. seemed fine to me. Re installed, no go joe. This happened right out of the box, first round down the barrel. got maybe 3 or 4 out of the first 10 to eject. the nothing. They extract ok, just don't eject.

Back2Wyo
08-31-2019, 09:27 PM
Have you checked the ejector pin and spring? It might be week or stuck.

mnbogboy2
09-01-2019, 12:14 AM
A lot of us have been down this road.
Sometimes a new extractor, spring and oversize ball cures it.
Often a new ejector spring.
There are many posts on here concerning this as you have probably found on searches here.

On a new one like yours the first thing I would do is do a super slow extraction and see where it drops. Look at your brass for scratches. Assuming it is a creedmoor, the taper of the case makes it real susceptible to getting "wedged" between the right bolt lug abutment and the bolt raceway. Often you can reach in with your finger and feel these two "sharp" corners in the machining.
If that is the culprit, the best way to cure it is to remove the barrel and remove the offending corners and tight "wedge" spot.
Savage will get it fixed for you, a lot of us work on these Savages ourselves and would not send it back for your problem.
There is extraction kits available that have modified parts that may help. Again a few searches on here will lead you to those vendors. I think "gun shack" and savage shooters supply are 2 of them.
If you are lucky maybe you live close to another member that might like to help if you don't get it figured out.
As far as shooting this weekend, the ejector can be removed and the case will then hang on the bolt and it is easy to pick it off rather than tipping the gun each time.
Good luck,
Randy

Albertaktm
09-01-2019, 12:59 AM
A lot of us have been down this road.
Sometimes a new extractor, spring and oversize ball cures it.
Often a new ejector spring.
There are many posts on here concerning this as you have probably found on searches here.

On a new one like yours the first thing I would do is do a super slow extraction and see where it drops. Look at your brass for scratches. Assuming it is a creedmoor, the taper of the case makes it real susceptible to getting "wedged" between the right bolt lug abutment and the bolt raceway. Often you can reach in with your finger and feel these two "sharp" corners in the machining.
If that is the culprit, the best way to cure it is to remove the barrel and remove the offending corners and tight "wedge" spot.
Savage will get it fixed for you, a lot of us work on these Savages ourselves and would not send it back for your problem.
There is extraction kits available that have modified parts that may help. Again a few searches on here will lead you to those vendors. I think "gun shack" and savage shooters supply are 2 of them.
If you are lucky maybe you live close to another member that might like to help if you don't get it figured out.
As far as shooting this weekend, the ejector can be removed and the case will then hang on the bolt and it is easy to pick it off rather than tipping the gun each time.
Good luck,
Randy
Thanks for the tip. I guess I am just a little bummed at dropping $1900 bucks on a rifle and have it doa then then have to fix it myself. I am a hands on guy and have a shop full of tools but all in all I want to see how Savage handles it when I call them Tuesday morning. Took off to the Rockies for a few days so I'm not shooting anything for a week. I have had many Savages and love them. I don't mind working on it after I bring it to their attention. The last thing I want to do is box it up and send it to Ontario for service.

wbm
09-01-2019, 09:34 AM
I guess I am just a little bummed at dropping $1900 bucks on a rifle and have it doa then then have to fix it myself.

I hear ya! Extraction/Ejection problems have been part of the Savage "legacy" for like ever. Hope you get it worked out.