PDA

View Full Version : Axis .22-250 with poor accuracy.

Pages : 1 [2]

BB68
09-25-2019, 09:35 AM
I bought an axis 243 for my boy, it would only pattern bullets. The only thing that fixed it after $100 in wasted bullets was sending it in for a new barrel. Luckily ours was warrantied.

GaCop
09-25-2019, 02:43 PM
Had the Axis to the range today to retest the Speer 100 gr BTSPs. This time they were loaded in Winchester brass with 7828SSC. Rounds were all over the paper! I've seen better shotgun patterns. All loads were almost three grains under the max charge of 46 grains. Still seeing flattened primers. Bullets were seated to 2.649" almost 25 thousandths OTL yet I had one round I had to mortar the bolt to get the case out and it was showing a partial case separation. None of the rounds tested grouped smaller than 6" at 200 yards. SD and ES figures looked very good but the targets stunk! Packed up in disgust. Pulled the scope when I came home to check the base screws and they were tight. Action screws, tight. ring screws, tight. Put it all back together and was re bore sighting the scope when I noticed the elevation quit working, the adjustment had no effect on vertical movement. Changed scopes to the only one I had which is an older Korean made 6X24X40 AO. I figured while I was at it, I recrowned the barrel. Now waiting on a Weaver slotted base and windage adjustable Grand Slam rings to replace the cheap factory pieces.

GaCop
09-25-2019, 02:48 PM
I bought an axis 243 for my boy, it would only pattern bullets. The only thing that fixed it after $100 in wasted bullets was sending it in for a new barrel. Luckily ours was warrantied.

That will probably be my next move if replacing scope, rings and mount does no good.

GaCop
09-26-2019, 06:27 AM
Had the Axis to the range today to retest the Speer 100 gr BTSPs. This time they were loaded in Winchester brass with 7828SSC. Rounds were all over the paper! I've seen better shotgun patterns. All loads were almost three grains under the max charge of 46 grains. Still seeing flattened primers. Bullets were seated to 2.649" almost 25 thousandths OTL yet I had one round I had to mortar the bolt to get the case out and it was showing a partial case separation. None of the rounds tested grouped smaller than 6" at 200 yards. SD and ES figures looked very good but the targets stunk! Packed up in disgust. Pulled the scope when I came home to check the base screws and they were tight. Action screws, tight. ring screws, tight. Put it all back together and was re bore sighting the scope when I noticed the elevation quit working, the adjustment had no effect on vertical movement. Changed scopes to the only one I had which is an older Korean made 6X24X40 AO. I figured while I was at it, I recrowned the barrel. Now waiting on a Weaver slotted base and windage adjustable Grand Slam rings to replace the cheap factory pieces.

Korean made scope is a Tasco, forgot to mention that.

Jester560
09-26-2019, 01:51 PM
I carried mine to the range for the first time Monday. I carried a box of Winchester Power Points and a box of Remington Corelokts, both in 55gr. I have never seen a rifle that didnt like one of the 2 makes of bullets and is always where I start. The Winchesters shot like crap. The Remingtons shot right at 1 inch with the horrid factory trigger. I just installed a Timney in it today and am going back to the range tomorrow. I fully expect the groups to shrink considerably with the new trigger.

wbm
09-26-2019, 04:36 PM
If you have good trigger control habits the new trigger may not shrink groups "considerably". Course if it's a factory Axis trigger it might. How's that for an ambiguous response?

Jester560
09-26-2019, 11:12 PM
If you have good trigger control habits the new trigger may not shrink groups "considerably". Course if it's a factory Axis trigger it might. How's that for an ambiguous response?

Yes, it was the horrendous factory trigger. It was over 6#s and gritty. There was no way to shoot good groups with that trigger no matter how good of trigger control one has.

GaCop
09-27-2019, 06:05 AM
I would not blame the load or rifle on that primer issue. It just means your brass is worn out. .223 military brass only goes 4 reloads before primers fall out.

Flattened primers. Compare to a factory load first. I had an old 7mm-08 that had flattened primers with all factory ammo. I even tried neck turning the brass and they still came out that way.
Yup, I tried that too w/o any improvement.

GaCop
09-27-2019, 02:55 PM
Well, it turns out the Tasco scope is defective too. It got me on paper at 100 yards but the elevation adjustments are maxed out and it's still shooting 3 inches low. I was shooting 87 grain V-Max over 41.9 grains of H414 in Hornady brass. This brass has had the necks turned in the past. LOA was 2.210" Velocity averaged 3188 fps with an ES of 15 and an SD of 5. Fired primers looked good. It put three into .411" at 100 yards.

gumbo333
09-27-2019, 04:08 PM
So what happened with Coastal/ 22-250?

GaCop
09-28-2019, 06:23 AM
So what happened with Coastal/ 22-250?

Hasn't been any updates from him?

Coastal
10-03-2019, 10:05 AM
I haven't taken it back to the range yet. I ended up stiffening up the stock with rockite which added a bunch of weight but did stiffen it up a whole bunch. I'm going to swap out scopes and go try it as soon as I get an afternoon free to get to the range. We will go to the range next week for sure. I just swapped barrels on my son's rifle and put a new scope on it. He is chomping at the bit to go shoot it so the first free afternoon I have I am sure we'll be shooting.

Coastal
10-16-2019, 08:42 PM
UPDATE---

I finally got back to the range today after the rockite treatment. I decided not to swap out the scope just yet and see if the rockite in the forend would help things any. I grabbed what ammo I had left which was Remington 55gr soft points, nothing premium. Nothing with a polycarbonate tip or anything like that. Just plain ol green and yellow box Remington soft points. We had a front blow in today and it had just gone from rain to a periodic sprinkle with heavy overcast skies and a north wind blowing 10-15. Fortunately the range is set up north south so I was shooting with the wind mostly at my back and not a direct crosswind. But not ideal conditions. We had to make sure my son's rifle was still on for a hunt this weekend so I grabbed the .22-250 and figured I'd see if we made any difference with the rockite.

Here are the pics.

1st group.
https://i.imgur.com/PR8q1oQs.jpg

2nd group
https://i.imgur.com/Eu0x1KMs.jpg

So that was a huge success. It went from 4" groups to 1". I suspect that some different ammo is going to shrink the group size down a bit more too.