PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing Savage 110 work ?

Shooter0302
08-29-2019, 09:39 PM
I just bought a used 110 LH in 7 Mag. I bought it just for the LH action. When I went to remove be Bbl. the last 4 or 5 turns of the Bbl required more force then the first ones. When I tried to screw in a small shank 223 bbl. it would only make about 1 turn before stopping
Since SSS either takes fore ever and a day, and don't carry any LH bolt parts. Who would you suggest to true the threads,change the bolt head from Mag. to 308, and a few other things.
Before anyone suggests doing the bolt work my self , I have RA in both hands, so working on small things usually don't go well.

J.Baker
08-30-2019, 01:38 PM
The main names are SSS (Fred Moreo), Stockade Gun Stocks (Kevin Rayhill), and Savage Gunsmithing (Scott Null). Lots of other good smith's out there that will work on Savage's though that should be able to accommodate your needs.

Receiver threads probably just need cleaned and possibly chased with a tap. 4-D rents the tap if you'd be interested in doing it yourself.

https://4drentals.com/product/savage-receiver-tap-standard-shank/

Shooter0302
08-31-2019, 02:11 PM
The main names are SSS (Fred Moreo), Stockade Gun Stocks (Kevin Rayhill), and Savage Gunsmithing (Scott Null). Lots of other good smith's out there that will work on Savage's though that should be able to accommodate your needs.

Receiver threads probably just need cleaned and possibly chased with a tap. 4-D rents the tap if you'd be interested in doing it yourself.

https://4drentals.com/product/savage-receiver-tap-standard-shank/
THANK YOU, I'll start with "chasing the threads". I've tried the OME 7 mag. bbl. and a 30" X cal. Bbl. with no problems, an OME 223 Bbl. goes in about half way. and an McG Bbl. won't even start. On this one I need to break out the $$$ calipers & Mic's

Bill2905
08-31-2019, 08:17 PM
The one time I removed a factory barrel, the threads were full of hard gritty material. It took some WD-40 and turning back and forth on the final turns. After the barrel came off, I cleaned the threads with a toothbrush and solvent. Screwing on a barrel was pretty effortless after that.

Shooter0302
09-01-2019, 01:54 PM
Thank you, I have a couple of "carbon cutters",I'll give them a try.

doowroh
09-01-2019, 03:55 PM
I would recommend you check the threads (both male & female) for galling. It sort of sounds like you might be dealing with something like that.

Blue Avenger
09-06-2019, 05:58 PM
many times the action screw will touch the barrel threads through the action and damage them. when you remove the barrel the damaged threads have to travel threw the action.

Shooter0302
09-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Thank you one and all, it was the front scope base screw that was into the Bbl. threads, wasn't going to do anything with the 7 mag pencil Bbl.
Small brass brush's cleaned the action threads up, so now the decission is, sell the long LH action, or build a swap Bbl set up.
"Ain't it always something"