PDA

View Full Version : Using the components from some hot rounds

wtex
08-17-2019, 02:32 AM
Recently I shot off a box of factory Federal 308 180gr Match and had 5 of the rounds blow primers out the back, first time I've ever seen that. A few of the other rounds had overpressure signs, probably shouldn't have but shot the whole box as was trying to sight in a scope and had nothing else. Contacted Federal and sent them pictures but their reply is since they were more than a year old (they claimed they were made in 1980) they wouldn't do anything about them. My problem is I have 4 more boxes of the same ammo. I pulled the bullets out of a box of them and weighed the powder, they had between 42 and 43 grains in each round, tried to compare the powder to some I had and didn't find a match. Planning on reloading the brass with the same powder at 39 or 40 grains, perhaps even going down to a 150gr bullet. I see this as an improvement over what I had and should be fine, but would love to hear input from others who've had similar experiences. Thanks for the help.

Ted_Feasel
08-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Recently I shot off a box of factory Federal 308 180gr Match and had 5 of the rounds blow primers out the back, first time I've ever seen that. A few of the other rounds had overpressure signs, probably shouldn't have but shot the whole box as was trying to sight in a scope and had nothing else. Contacted Federal and sent them pictures but their reply is since they were more than a year old (they claimed they were made in 1980) they wouldn't do anything about them. My problem is I have 4 more boxes of the same ammo. I pulled the bullets out of a box of them and weighed the powder, they had between 42 and 43 grains in each round, tried to compare the powder to some I had and didn't find a match. Planning on reloading the brass with the same powder at 39 or 40 grains, perhaps even going down to a 150gr bullet. I see this as an improvement over what I had and should be fine, but would love to hear input from others who've had similar experiences. Thanks for the help.Their powder is likely a proprietary blend so you won't find a match. If you suspect there are dangerously hot rounds, I would empty them and reload them with your favorite recipe. I dont know that I would adjust the powder they came with since you dont have any load data for that blend.. honestly I would probably just shoot them then reload or keep them back for emergency stash. Just my opinions though:)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nor Cal Mikie
08-17-2019, 07:19 AM
May be beating a dead horse but, consider them having a "head space" issue. Brass too short for the chamber, round fires, primer tries to back out of the pocket, gets punched/pierced by the firing pin and everything looks like high pressure. :eek:
Think about pulling the bullets "out a bit" to increase the OAL (the bullets will be jammed into the lands) and that increase will also hold the case head against the bolt head.
Once fired, that case has been formed to your chamber and can be reloaded to the OAL you prefer. Just make sure you don't push the shoulder back too far and you end up with the same situation all over again. Do the simple stuff first. ;)

yobuck
08-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Since it is older ammo it could be that the bullets have become attached/welded to the neck of the case.
I would try adjusting your seating die down till it contacts the bullet, then lower the ram on the press and adjust the die down another turn or so. Then reseat the bullet to the new (deeper) seating depth while paying close attention for a cracking sound as you do. I would try several of them before giving up on the idea as all might not be affected. If you hear the snapping sound, for sure that’s the issue.
Ive had the same problem with handloads that have been sitting for a few years. Reseating the bullets will break the bond that has formed and they will work just fine. It is not an uncommon problem, and it seems there is no cure except caution.

wtex
08-18-2019, 03:06 AM
Thanks for all the help, yes it is probably is their own blend of powders. I had never considered headspace or stuck bullets as the problem but I'll check both possibilities! It is so nice getting another perspective.

Robinhood
08-18-2019, 09:33 AM
1 turn of the die moves the bullet .071". Try an 1/8th turn.

Nor Cal Mikie
08-18-2019, 07:46 PM
And all this comes from the "been there, done that" thing. Makes me think about all that ammo I've got loaded up. Lets see, listening for that POP when seating all those bullets a little deeper? :eek: Hadn't thought about stuck bullets in older reloaded ammo but, that IS a fact of reloading life. Just when I thought I knew/remembered it all.:rolleyes:

wtex
08-19-2019, 12:45 AM
It is a learning process, experience is priceless! Thanks RH for the distance of one turn.

Robinhood
08-19-2019, 08:13 AM
In case you or someone else wanted the math.

14 threads per 1 inch

1 inch divided by the number of threads, 14 or
1" / 14tpi = .0714" every revolution.

1/8th of a turn
.0714" / 8 = .0089"

1/8th turn is approximately .009"

charlie b
08-19-2019, 09:57 AM
I understand you may be under a tight budget, but, I would at least toss the powder and use something you are sure of. Me? I'd toss the primers too (take the empty cases to the range and fire the primers). Primers and powders can get contaminated over time and behave inconsistently. Yes, military ammo is usually better, but, it is sealed ammo.

Then resize the brass paying particular attention to where the dies set the shoulder and how much of the neck is sized. Checking case length would not hurt either.

Then go back and check things like the fit of the cases to your chamber and such. Determine OAL where the bullets touch the lands and then set them at least 0.020" deeper (or use factory OAL settings).

yobuck
08-19-2019, 10:19 AM
And all this comes from the "been there, done that" thing. Makes me think about all that ammo I've got loaded up. Lets see, listening for that POP when seating all those bullets a little deeper? :eek: Hadn't thought about stuck bullets in older reloaded ammo but, that IS a fact of reloading life. Just when I thought I knew/remembered it all.:rolleyes:

Well frankly i hadn’t heard of it either till about 5 years ago.
But one shot with some older ammo that i personally had loaded made me very aware of it.
Blown primer, lots of smoke and a locked up bolt on loads that later proved to be accurately charged with powder.
I later found that it is a fairly common issue, but not one discussed very much, and it really should be.
Not an issue with those who load and then shoot the ammo up like most here do.
But for hunters who may have ammo for long periods of time it can be.
I/WE, in our group don’t shoot the guns we hunt long range with very much due to barrel life and round count.
We practice shooting at distance with 308s, and then just send a few each year with the hunting guns to make sure they are on.
And we don’t always confirm that on a 100 yd paper target. So ammo for those guns can get to be a few years old pretty easily, although i do date the boxes with the month and year it was loaded along with the load data.
NOTE, we are not attempting to resize the case in any way, so only the bullet seating die will be used to check the ammo.
I would start by backing out the seating depth adjustment stem on the die first, no need to change the main die body adjustment at all.
Then insert the round up into the (seating) die, and turn in the adjustment stem till it contacts the bullet. Then lower the ram and turn the adjustment down some more. We are not checking various seating depths here as we might during load work up. We are looking for a problem which (might) be caused by the welding of the bullet to the case. So I wouldn’t be timid about how far to go, and I’d personally be going at least a full turn or even more on the adjustment. If in fact this is the issue, you will hear the bullet break loose as you seat it deeper.
Over the many years I’ve been involve in long range hunting/shooting, I’ve had many friends and acquaintances who have as they say left the range. So i have acquired much free stuff by way of ammo and components. Much free stuff, especially ammo, ends up being worth about what you paid for it. I never attempt to just shoot other peoples loaded ammo in my guns. Factory ammo i would, but not handloads.
I pull the bullets using my press and a large pair of dikes for grabbing the bullet, then throw them away and dump the powder.
In fact years ago before i got involved with long range hunting, and surplus military ammo was easily obtained, i used Lake City match
06 ammo by just pulling the bullets and reseating a 150gr hunting bullet without even dumping the powder. And so did lots of others i knew.

wtex
08-20-2019, 02:28 AM
Thanks, I love numbers! Makes me wonder about old ammo I have sitting around, have 223 ammo my dad bought a few years after Vietnam, and I have some Winchester 30-06 I got from the CMP I think was made in the 1950s!