PDA

View Full Version : M y First Axis XP in 243

Pages : 1 2 [3]

farmer44mag
11-21-2019, 02:54 PM
I've been running into problems with light primer strikers lately. Problem started after about 100 rounds thru the rifle? Not only am I getting light primer streikes from the FP but when rounds do fire I also get pierced primers! Figure that one out! My range trip yesterday was a disaster, 100 grain Interlocks over 7828ssc powder, of the 6 rounds tried, two failed to fire and two had pierced primers. Primer were pretty flat so I didn't try shooting the remaining 6 rounds. Charges are no where near the max of 44.5 grains and bullets were seated .013" OTL.

Next tried were 80 grain Sierra Spitzer BTs over IMR 4461 Max charge being 40.3 grains but my loads were between 37 and 37.6 grains, bullet .009" OTL. Six rounds fired but again showed very flat primers The next six again showed light primer strikes and would not fire. I've had it with this Axis. Talked to Savage about the problem and they said to send it in to be looked at. Did some checking with Fed Ex and UPS. To send it back to Savage is going to cost me another $65 to shipped it insured. I'm not wasting another penny on this POS. On top of all the firing problems the Weaver scope went belly up early on, elevation quit working so had to replace the scope. This will be the last Axis I ever buy.

You could try just sending the bolt in to them for polishing and any needed new internal parts. I did that with my 2 2012 models. Cost me $5 postage. They were decocking when bolt was pulled to rear. Have worked fine since.

Stumpkiller
11-21-2019, 04:05 PM
I've been running into problems with light primer strikers lately. Problem started after about 100 rounds thru the rifle? Not only am I getting light primer streikes from the FP but when rounds do fire I also get pierced primers! Figure that one out!

There's an old Dr. adage that a patient with a broken leg can also have measles. You might have two problems, or so much headspace that when it does fire you get pierced primers (excessive chamber pressure). Flat primers is also an indication of overpressure.

Try a 0.025" jump. But that won't solve light strikes.

IMR 4461? Don't find that as a thing

GaCop
11-22-2019, 07:55 AM
There's an old Dr. adage that a patient with a broken leg can also have measles. You might have two problems, or so much headspace that when it does fire you get pierced primers (excessive chamber pressure). Flat primers is also an indication of overpressure.

Try a 0.025" jump. But that won't solve light strikes.

IMR 4461? Don't find that as a thing

LOL! That should be 4166!

GaCop
11-22-2019, 07:57 AM
You could try just sending the bolt in to them for polishing and any needed new internal parts. I did that with my 2 2012 models. Cost me $5 postage. They were decocking when bolt was pulled to rear. Have worked fine since.

I like that idea better than spending another $65 to send the whole rifle to them.

GaCop
12-03-2019, 09:57 AM
Checked head space with GO and NO GO gauge and head space is just fine. I suspect the FP springs are messed up. What has me stumped is the pierced primers that can occur right after a light primer strike?

Stumpkiller
12-03-2019, 10:25 AM
I'm going to dig out my old copy of Major Nonte's "Modern Handloading" and check his chapter on primers. He goes into all kinds of causes for various problems.