PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 sba accuracy should be what?

Pages : 1 [2]

wtex
08-20-2019, 02:02 AM
Thanks olddav, I appreciate that, I can always use more help! I've seen the article briefly but need to go back and read it in depth. Took the model 10 back out today, hot and windy. Retried a couple of the previous torque settings with different ammo, most groups 1-2 inches, seems to like the 35-30 in/lbs more with a wider range of ammo. Did happen to load up some 155gr hp that shot a clover leaf measuring 7/16 inch center to center, now if I can do that consistently!

From what I've been able to tell, it seems to like bullets around 150gr and does worse the higher I move up in weight. Match ammo is generally 168gr or heavier, and it doesn't really like it, and it does really bad by the time I get up to 180gr. So it makes me think it is a stability problem, may try some even lighter loads, will see if I can find some good 130gr bullets to work with.

CFJunkie
08-20-2019, 09:42 AM
wtex,

With a 1:10 twist, I doubt you would have stability problems up past 200 grain bullets
I think your barrel just prefers lighter bullets. I am surprised that it doesn't shoot 168 match bullets well.
Even my light bullet .308 still is respectable with 168 grain SMKs and more than respectable with 168 TMKs.

Try some good match bullets in the 150 to 155 range.
In my .308 that likes the lighter bullets, I have had the best results (0.399 and 0.410 5-round group averages at 100 yards) with Sierra 155 TMK #7755 bullets with IMR4166 and IMR4064 powder. If you don't hand load, by some Federal Premium Gold Medal Match ammo in 150 grain or Nosler Custom Competition in 155 grain and see if you see a difference.
If you haven't tried them already, FPGGM 168 comes in SMK or Berger bullets and is just about the 'reference factory ammo' for .308 rifles.

tobnpr
08-20-2019, 03:36 PM
You said in the first post that you had A COUPLE groups under 1”. That is testimony to it being capable of shooting sub MOA.

Respectfully disagree.
Too many internet commandos get a couple of 3-shot groups that measure "X" out of many, and proclaim their rifle shoots cloverleafs.

Any rifle that shoots "X", will do it consistently, every single time. A couple of 1/2" (or whatever) target groupings out of others typically larger is nothing but a random occurrence.

Competitions aren't won with anything less.

Problem is, these days the quality of mass-produced factory barrels is generally heads and shoulders above what they were just a decade ago due to advances in CNC machining and this has led to unrealistic expectations by the consumer in some cases.

Used to be a true one-minute factory rifle was a rarity, now most will guarantee that performance. Every barrel is different, and despite my reluctance to borescope any of my Savage factory barrels because they look like railroad tracks from all the button chatter they shoot minute of angle or a bit better once the "right" ammunition is developed.

A rifle shooting one ragged hole is the result of a complete/accurate system, sum of all the components from the stock/chassis to the barrel, trigger and consistent match-grade ammunition.

charlie b
08-20-2019, 07:37 PM
And don't forget the shooter, many of whom are not capable of consistent 1/2MOA performance. Yes, I am in that group. And, sometimes I struggle to maintain 1 MOA consistently.

wtex
08-21-2019, 01:01 AM
You're probably right CF, I'll see if I can find some FGMM in 150 gr or the Nosler 155. Yes me the shooter is a limiting factor, I'll keep practicing.