PDA

View Full Version : berrel life on .308 heavy barrel

kenbo776
10-23-2010, 10:01 PM
So...has anyone here worn out a savage heavy barrel...I have a .308 FCP and am wondering how long I can expect barrel to last. I reload but never go much further than mid range loads. Never max.

Dennis
10-23-2010, 10:26 PM
I have a 308FCP, I have heard anywhere from 3k to 5k rounds! I quit counting on mine, when it quits grouping, I am getting another one! So far, it's still dead on!

glazer1972
10-23-2010, 11:46 PM
Probably be good for 9-10k rounds as long as you never get her hot.

pdog06
10-24-2010, 12:19 AM
to be honest, I cant say Ive ever read anyone on here stating that their 308 was shot out. Now that I think of it, I dont think Ive read it anywheres else either,,about Savages or any other brand.

Dennis
10-24-2010, 12:38 PM
I own 4 Savage 308's, it's the best "all around" gun made in my opinion! Barrel life being one the most important, plus, they shoot!

My FCP 308 outshoots most custom made guns, all I have done was bed the stock, tweak'd the trigger, and pull the trigger!

I have a 6.0x47 and 6.5x47, both are fine guns and very accurate! They were a lot harder (took more TLC) to bulld than the Savage 308!

psharon97
10-25-2010, 12:32 AM
I have a stock ruger m77 in 308 that put several thousand rounds through it. Its not as accurate as my benchrest savage is, but the barrel hasnt lost anything as far as performance out to 200 meters.

Golfbuddy45
10-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Alright - as a retired Industrial Engineer where NUMBERS was an integral part of my job for 40 years - (I hate NUMBERS) Consider you had nothing to do but shoot your .308 and an unlimited supply of bullets.

A typical "Shooting Cycle" = pick up your rifle, take out the Mag, put rifle down, open a box of bullets, load 4 cartridges, put the mag back in, shoulder/bench the rifle, open/close the bolt to load 1st round, aim (5 seconds to aim), pull the trigger, rotate the bolt to unload/load 2nd round, aim, fire, rotate the bolt to unload/load 3rd round, rotate the bolt to load unload 4th round, set rifle down on bench, take out mag, start over. I figure about 5 seconds to aim and that is pretty short time. A lot of us take a minute or more and when hunting I have seen 5 minutes. Anyway we are just target shooting so this whole Shooting Cycle takes about 2 minutes to load and fire 4 rounds. This is just a rough average, some shoot faster and some shoot slower.

4 rounds every 2 minutes times 30 = 120 rounds every hour or about 1200 rounds in 10 hours of nothing but shooting (and 4 days in the hospital after your surgery to repair every broken bone and muscle in your shoulder - - - - - -) 2400 rounds in 20 hours, 3600 rounds in 30 hours, 4800 rounds in 40 hours (one work week of nothing but shooting - might be heaven to some people)......................

So sum it up in the Real World - at a range you have to set up your targets and get everything ready to shoot. Figure out how many times you go to the range in a month or in a year. Total up how many rounds you shoot on average on each outing and you can total the number of shots per year you take out of any one gun. Since I go to the range no more than once a month and sometimes once every 2 months I expect my guns will last till I am well over a HUNDRED years old. . . . . . How about yours?