PDA

View Full Version : First time loading Nosler Partitions

tufrthnails
08-08-2019, 03:31 AM
Alright so i'm going muley hunting second rifle season in CO. For FL and KY Whitetails I run 150g Hornaday SST's and they flat out whack and stack deer. I hear Nosler partitions are the way to go for elk and Muleys. Here is my issue:
My .270win rifle loves the load I built with the horn 150g SSts. 150g Nosler partition, new Remington Brass, H4831 powder, CCI #200 LR primer, .020 jump. My best 100yard 4 round group so far is 1.250" not horrible, but my SST's are sub .750" all day long dropping much lower when I have my poop in a group that day. This is my first charge test so I am hoping I can take my best group verify and then start playing with the Jump and tighten it up some. Do you guys find Nosler partitions to be as accurate as other rounds? Or am I aiming for a 1" group and call it a day. I'm not worried about bench shooting them I try to keep my shots to sub 300 yards on Whitetails and muleys will be no exception although I do practice further then that to stay sharp.

charlie b
08-08-2019, 08:56 AM
Jusr use the SST's. They will be fine for mule deer.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

bc160
08-08-2019, 11:42 AM
I load partitions for a few of my guns. They are pretty accurate, at least on par with other hunting rounds. Most of mine shoot the best with little to no jump. However if your rifle is shooting well with the SST slugs there would be no reason to change..

Robinhood
08-09-2019, 07:46 PM
48 grains 4064, 130 partitions, Win LR primers

yobuck
08-10-2019, 08:49 AM
There are very few animals walking around in North America that are harder to put down and keep down as Whitetail deer.
Even a big Mule deer isn’t one of them.
Id be using the load that has been working well for you.

tufrthnails
08-10-2019, 06:21 PM
There are very few animals walking around in North America that are harder to put down and keep down as Whitetail deer.
Even a big Mule deer isn’t one of them.
Id be using the load that has been working well for you.

I've been talking with a few people on other hunting forums that like SST's as well. I was surprised to see how many guys that have killed black bears with SSTs. the discussion have me seriously thinking about running my SSTs. I have a bear tag in my pocket as well as a Mule Deer tag so that had me looking for more penetration, but taking to guys with real life performance has definitely got me thinking hard about it. I was also surprised to see how many guys said to do a jump test seating up to .050 off. I ran .020 off for the charge test. I don't think I have had anything shoot better with that far of a jump.

Smokey262
08-10-2019, 11:00 PM

Huhh? Not so in my experience

yobuck
08-11-2019, 09:08 AM
Huhh? Not so in my experience

That might be so, but statistically that isn’t the case.
As for bullets, there has gotten to be so many variations, I don’t see how it would be possible to ascertain the best one to use.
Nosler of coarse has been around for many decades and has been widely used by many hunters.
But that’s not to say others wont work just as well, because they have and still are.
Bears can be hard to put down, and especially keep down.
But with proper shot placement they are not.
Problem is as a rule you wont know for sure until after its over where you hit it.
My advise would be to hit it again if you have the opportunity to do so unless your absolutely certain its dead.
Otherwise it could end up being a shoulda coulda woulda.

tufrthnails
08-11-2019, 02:41 PM
That might be so, but statistically that isn’t the case.
As for bullets, there has gotten to be so many variations, I don’t see how it would be possible to ascertain the best one to use.
Nosler of coarse has been around for many decades and has been widely used by many hunters.
But that’s not to say others wont work just as well, because they have and still are.
Bears can be hard to put down, and especially keep down.
But with proper shot placement they are not.
Problem is as a rule you wont know for sure until after its over where you hit it.
My advise would be to hit it again if you have the opportunity to do so unless your absolutely certain its dead.
Otherwise it could end up being a shoulda coulda woulda.
I do that with big boar hogs if it's not a head shot and I can't watch them for a bit. Walked in on a couple still very alive.

GrenGuy
09-02-2019, 06:26 AM
I have NOT found NP’s to be as accurate in My rifles. I get 1 1/4” to 1 1/2” groups with them in rifles that produce MOA or less with other bullets. I can do anything I need to with SST’s and save the expense of the NP’s. JMO