PDA

View Full Version : What have I got?

petersacco
08-06-2019, 12:07 PM
Folks, AN old dumb guy question. A few years ago I bought a Savage bolt gun, I think at Cabella's. I fired break-in rounds and put it in the safe and forgot about it. It is marked Model 16, and has an accu-trigger and bedding block, a black composite stock. It is stainless action and barrel and the barrel is 24" fluted in 223. My question is it doesn't fit the current catalogue description of the 16 as it has the 24" fluted barrel. Is it mis-labeled or maybe a discontinued model? What's it worth? Many thanks in advance, Pete

Chris3.Drums
08-06-2019, 12:21 PM
The best advice I have is to contact Savage directly and ask them about the serial number.

wbm
08-06-2019, 12:28 PM
There is a date of manufacture FAQ on site here.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?55695-Dating-Serial-Numbers-with-a-Letter-Prefix

Check your serial number with it and you will at least get a year of manufacture. I had one like yours years ago in 22-250 but don't remember what year.

However, I do remember having one so that is comforting.

J.Baker
08-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Sounds like a special model made for large volume dealers/distributors - assuming it was a new rifle when purchased rather than used.

Model 16 Weather Warriors (the only models to use the #16) were always fitted with sporter weight barrels that were either 22" (standard) or 24" (magnums) depending on the cartridge it was chambered for. All Model 16's during that time would have had a detachable box or hinged floorplate magazine (you didn't specify magazine type). The heavier fluted 24 " barrel is the oddity in your spec's that doesn't fit in with the cataloged models.

Savage will make special models like this for larger resellers and distributors (Acadamy Sports, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Davidson's, Gander, Elliot Brothers, Talo Distributors, etc.). Basically the reseller/distributor specifies the features/spec's so more often than not these special models have a mixture of features from different cataloged models.

For all intensive purposes though, what you have is a Model 16. The alphabet soup that would normally come after is all but irrelevant.

petersacco
08-06-2019, 03:00 PM
It's a hinged floorplate. Thanks for the serial number checker-2009 manufacture. Note the barrel is fluted but not a heavy barrel contour. I'm going to contact Savage. Will let you all know what they say. Thanks to all. Best, Pete

foxx
08-06-2019, 04:10 PM
As J. Baker said, it's kinds irrelevant what they say about it's model name. It's a 16. What else they tell you about the "alphabet soup" of Model name is kinda irrelevant. All that tells you is how it was configured originally. If it hasn't been altered by a previous owner, it was configured exactly the way it is now. Savage does not make certain models better than another. (I should say, for example, all Model 16 actions are same quality. They don't put more effort into building one version of the 16 over another, They don't hand select choice parts for one or another, either.) They configure them all one way or another and you get what you get.

charlie b
08-06-2019, 04:21 PM
I kinda like the commissioned models. The Axis II I got at Walmart is one of those. Heavy Barrel in .223. All kinds of special guns for distributors. Some of the other mfgs will show those models on their websites so you can go shop at those distributors when you see a combination you like.