PDA

View Full Version : 110 lightweight storm switch barrel?

Norm
07-31-2019, 10:41 AM
I am exploring the idea of a light rifle for my wife to hunt elk with. My question is, Is it possible to buy a lightweight storm in .223 rem. or .243 win. for her to practice with during the off season, and convert it to a 6.5 prc with a barrel, bolt head, and mag change for hunting? I also haven't been able to verify if the short calibers for the 110 LW storm are built in a short action. Any info about this would be appreciated.

Dave Hoback
07-31-2019, 01:06 PM
The short actions are the same length. But you will also need a front baffle for the 223. If you get a .243, you will be good to go!

J.Baker
07-31-2019, 04:26 PM
Just to clarify Dave's answer, short action cartridges come on short actions, long action cartridges come on long actions. Savage just dumped the different model numbers and went to calling everything 110 like they did in the beginning. No different than Rem 700's or Win 70's.

Norm
07-31-2019, 06:23 PM
Thanks Dave and J. A couple more questions. Dose anyone know the actual weight of the LW storm in say .243 win? And the lenght of pull range and ajustment increments?

CFJunkie
07-31-2019, 07:54 PM
Savage web site says 5.6 lbs.
Length of pull is 13.75 inches like most of the modern Savages.

Lots of info on their site - you ought to look at it.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57073

Dave Hoback
07-31-2019, 09:23 PM
Savage web site says 5.6 lbs.
Length of pull is 13.75 inches like most of the modern Savages.

Lots of info on their site - you ought to look at it.
https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57073

LOL! Now CFJunkie, why in the world would anyone bother to “search” for information when there are several of us here so willing to do this for them! Makes sense really..hahahaha. BTW, this ISN'T a dig at anyone. Some people really do just enjoy searching to gain knowledge & share the information. Just thought it was a funny opening you provided.

J.Baker
08-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Thanks Dave and J. A couple more questions. Dose anyone know the actual weight of the LW storm in say .243 win? And the lenght of pull range and ajustment increments?

The LW Storm doesn't come with an AccuFit or AccusStock stock so no adjustability on those. LOP is a fixed 13.75" as CF noted.

Figure on the weight being between 5.5 and 6 pounds. It varies a little depending on caliber. One I ordered a couple years ago in .250 Savage weighed in at 5.75lbs. naked. The extra machining on the receiver and bolt body only accounts for about 2 ounces so most of the weight savings comes from the shorter, lighter contour barrel and the basic stock with Axis-style DBM that doesn't require the bottom metal.

Norm
08-01-2019, 10:17 AM
Thanks J., That's the kind of specific information I was looking for. I've learned over the years to take the manufactures specs with a grain of salt. I understand they are trying to promote their products in the most favorable light. And honest mistakes can be made. For instance the Savage site says the LW storm has an adjustable length of pull. Not an accufit, but adjustable. I live in a pretty remote location, I love it, but it is difficult to get to a gun store with any kind of inventory. So I appreciate any hands on experience you guys share.

J.Baker
08-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Well, now that I look at Savage's site it looks like they have added the adjustable LOP to the LW Storm for this year as it has the newer updated basic stock - same one that comes on the 110 Apex models.

Norm
08-01-2019, 03:10 PM
I must say that I've become discouraged about pursuing this project. That's not a bad thing. From what I have learned on this forum the LW storm probably wont give me the performance on a budget rifle I was hoping to cobble together. And that is really what I wanted to find out.

charlie b
08-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Have you looked at the Axis rifles? It will be a little heavier due to long action, but, less expensive. It is almost cheap enough to buy two when you look at the prices of aftermarket barrels, although it does not come in 6.5PRC. The Compact model does come in 6.5CM at 6.25lb with a 20" barrel.

I was shocked at how well my heavy barrel Axis in .223 has performed.