PDA

View Full Version : Savage bolt heads and Shilen DGV/DGR?

sgt_jamez
07-29-2019, 07:43 PM
Forgive me if this is the wrong forum to ask this, but I’m very interested in building a multi-caliber rifle based on a Shilen DGV action. Specifically a 6 Dasher, 6PPC, and 20VT. I’m wondering if anyone here has this action and has tried swapping bolt heads? I would probably the the action with the 308 bolt head and buy a PTG 6PPC and 223 bolt head. I just can’t find anywhere that confirms that the Savage//PTG bolt head will fit on the Shilen bolt body.

Any clarification would ease matters for me tremendously!

Dave Hoback
07-29-2019, 09:48 PM
The Shilen DGV/DGR Actions are actually modeled after the Rem. 700. I don’t believe the PTG bolt heads fit. More than likely, they are proprietary, as the bolt body/firing pin assy., etc. are model 700. Also, using a single action and thinking you will change up between 2,3,4 calipers is not very practical. Requires bolt head in some cases, new barrel, headspacing, yadda, yadda. Just not practical.

And btw, the “Members custom build threads” forum is the correct place for this.

J.Baker
07-30-2019, 06:09 AM
You have to get the Shilen DGV/DGR bolt heads from Shilen directly, they are not the same as Savage bolt heads.