PDA

View Full Version : accu trigger question?

sswv
07-25-2019, 10:21 PM
I know a LOT of people do not agree with me but I just don't care for the accu trigger. I have removed the blade on several of the earlier models but am curious if the blade can be removed on the newer models? I have not had one issue with the blade being gone and just want to be sure I can remove it on a new rifle before I buy it.

thanks for lookin'

Robinhood
07-25-2019, 11:30 PM
I don't care for them either. They are safe though. Because of the safety blade.

olddav
07-26-2019, 08:16 AM
I too hate the accutrigger, well maybe not hate but I don’t care for them. I don’t have any personal experience in regards to your question but as far as I know there has not been any change to the design of the accutrigger. Haven’t seen anything on this forum either.

Dave Hoback
07-26-2019, 09:34 AM
All years of Accutriggers are the same. The Accu-release lever (blade) can easily be removed from any year Rifle it was used. I get some just don’t care for it. I would bet most of these same persons do not care for 2-stage triggers either. Personally, I think the invention of the “safe action” trigger is one of the most genius ideas developed in the world of firearms. (Thank you Gaston Glock!). Tuning triggers was the first firearms work I learned. Because of this, I have never purchased an aftermarket trigger for any of the firearms I’ve owned.(Besides the custom 1911’s I’ve built of course.)

Robinhood
07-26-2019, 01:47 PM
I like two stage triggers. I used to work on AR triggers and get them nice, you had to change the angle to keep from pulling the hammer back. Then I got my hands on a Compass Lake trigger by Frank White. Rocked my world.

Lets be honest though, the Accutriger is not a 2 stage trigger nor does it function like one. It is a good trigger for people who reduce the pull of their trigger to the point to where any motion will generate enough inertia to trip the trigger. It is also perfect for hunters who run around with a cartridge in the chamber. The three position safety fixed that. As far as Accuracy and performance, they bring nothing to the table. None of the custom trigger manufacturers copy a savage trigger. Why? Because stamped junk is stamped junk

Honing and polishing a sear surface, shimming the side play as well as replacing the trigger return spring and the sear return spring is really not all that hard if you are mechanically inclined, have an understanding of what parallel and perpendicular is, and what it isn't.

Don't get me wrong, I like every Savage,Howa and Remington trigger I ever reworked. But with a Savage it is the simplest of trip levers. It is a hair trigger or it is something greater than a hair trigger.

You work on triggers?
:caked:

Dave Hoback
07-26-2019, 05:03 PM
LOL! :nevreness: From time to time...hahaha... I agree with most of that. I do apologize. Didn’t mean for my statement to come out that the Accutrigger is a 2-stage. And of course it doesn’t function as a 2-stage does. Was simply stating a nicely set up safe action style trigger reminds me of a 2-stage...being the safety blade gives the finger pad that “rest stop” before tripping the sear.

And you know I agree with you on it not being difficult to work on! I’ve been very vocal on that many times! I’ve even offered to help walk people through doing their own trigger job via online. No trigger is all that difficult having the proper understanding of parts & function.
Triggers, sears & hammers on various firearms operate on 2 opposing, rotational planes which are parallel. Study & understand that and it all becomes pretty basic.

I also agree that yes, stamped & MIM parts are far from good quality steel! That said, I am at all times on a tight budget... and spending $150, $200, $250+ on a trigger has never been a priority of mine. I have felt the absolute best & while they are eye opening nice, even they are not worth the added cost TO ME. Not even if I could get the best at the lowest price of $150(which doesn’t by much better a trigger anyway!) No, I would rather spend that budget money on reloading components, or another machining tool I might need...whatever. But that is me. Anyone who wishes to purchase half a trigger like a Basix, or a full on, all out adjustable everything trigger, you have my full blessing!

Idaho
07-31-2019, 11:49 PM
I have a pair of Model 10 223s with accutriggers and have replaced the trigger springs in both with target springs and I've shimmed the side play out of both. Both triggers trip off the sear at 10 oz. One is still sensitive to side pressure on the trigger and it serves to keep me honest with my trigger pull. I have to put the pad of the finger on the front of the blade and pull straight back or the sear drops off before the safety blade is disengaged. I use both for varmints and absolutely love the triggers. Both shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards when I do my part.

Forgot to mention, both have the bottom bolt release and I discovered that there are no aftermarket triggers for these that are worth a damn and that is why I decided to work on the accutriggers myself.

Dave Hoback
08-01-2019, 07:29 AM
10oz! Pretty dang light! Little too light for my taste. Although my background has always been combat/defensive shooting rather than target. I’ve always concentrated on making a trigger “feel” lighter than it actually trips at. I’ve always enjoyed people trying a triggering a 1911 I’ve set up and swear it’s 1lb, then smile as it trips around 2-2.5lbs.

Consistency is #1 objective.

Uncle Grinch
08-01-2019, 10:31 PM
Don’t really care for any of the accu-Triggers or Glock style triggers. I do have a distinct fondness for two stage triggers and feel they offer a level of safety in themselves. Understand I was raised on military rifles (Mausers) and trust them over my commercial metal box triggers.

Texas10
08-04-2019, 04:54 PM
You can do a lot to an Accutrigger and not be sticking your neck out too far, but removing a safety device, well that's just plain dumb! That trigger set light and without the safety blade is a killer combination, literally...a killer. Fire on bolt close, imagine how your shooting buddies would like to be near that!

Your personal liability insurance, should you have some, will not cover you, so you risk everything you own, and will own in the future, for what exactly? Save a couple of bucks? Now imagine explaining to a layperson jury why you removed the safety blade that ended up seriously injuring a bystander, in a firearm that you lent or sold to someone else.

I don't mean to sound, well... mean, but you should have a big sign strapped to your back when you go to the range that reads "I like to remove safety devises from my firearms". And then see how quickly you'll be shooting all by yourself. And no, this isn't the same as removing a safety selector lever.

Sorry if I've offended you, as I intend for this to be just thought provoking, but youtube is full of videos of people getting hurt or killed doing thoughtless things.

olddav
08-04-2019, 11:23 PM
Been reading that target shooters sometimes remove the safety’s from their rifles. Those that do stated they feel that they are not required. They do not leave a unfired round in their rifle for any reason.
Removing “a safety device” is not necessarily irresponsible. It may not be required for the type of shooting you do. I do not use the safety on my rifle while shooting at the range. Like some target shooters I do not leave a live round in the chamber for any reason.
Trigger work can be a bit tricky and should not be performed by some people, but removing the center blade from an Accutrigger is not necessarily dangerous. You just have to understand how it affects the trigger. After all my three screw trigger does not have a center blade and is quite safe (as safe as any trigger can be).

Idaho
08-06-2019, 12:38 AM
10oz! Pretty dang light! Little too light for my taste. Although my background has always been combat/defensive shooting rather than target. I’ve always concentrated on making a trigger “feel” lighter than it actually trips at. I’ve always enjoyed people trying a triggering a 1911 I’ve set up and swear it’s 1lb, then smile as it trips around 2-2.5lbs.

Consistency is #1 objective.

I know it sounds light but you would be surprised how many times I find myself wishing the trigger would go off while I'm lined up on a chuck. Even at that low trigger pull I will still miss if I jump on the trigger. I feel like it makes me a better shooter. Two farmers both told me to be sure to come back next year because their fields have never looked so good. I like that.