PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Scope Mount for a new 110 Long Range Hunter .300 Winmag

Ewalk02
07-25-2019, 01:36 PM
Like the title says, I just purchased a new model #57036 Savage 110 Long Range Hunter .300 WinMag and I'm looking for a good scope mount to put on it. Is anyone with the same gun using a mount that they like / would recommend?

efm77
07-25-2019, 01:49 PM
I'm partial to steel one piece rails myself and prefer either Warne or Ken Farrell. As for rings, I like the Burris Signature Zee rings because they have the plastic offset inserts that can put in them to cant the scope to save from using too much internal adjustment range on the scope.

Jester560
07-25-2019, 03:00 PM
If you can afford it, Spuhr makes the best that can be had. ARC m10 are a close second and a bit cheaper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Bill2905
07-26-2019, 09:48 PM
I have gotten good service from the one-piece Warne steel rail that I put on my 12FV

olddav
07-30-2019, 08:19 AM
All the brands mentioned in previous post are high quality scope bases. Depending on your needs and desires there may be cheaper options. Weaver makes a base that cost much less and keeps the scope lower to the center of the barrel. If how ever you intend to mount a scope with a 50mm objective lens then the lower height may not be of any value.
EGW is another manufacturer quality bases in both steel and aluminum.

yobuck
08-01-2019, 09:56 AM
I’d just use the standard aluminum EGW picitinny base with a 20 deg taper.
As for rings, the inserts on Burris Signature types will help with ring mark issues even if you get the non taper ones initially.
If you need extra help on centering the reticle for windage, you can always pick up some tapered inserts for that.
Depends on how fussy you are, my scopes all have ring marks and I don’t mind if the windage adjustment isn’t exactly centered.
The 20 degree taper will assure you having the scope elevation adjustment you might need for the longer distances you might shoot with that gun.
With the type of reticles available today, dialing for windage corrections isnt as important as it once was.
Especially when hunting, do as little dialing as is necessary, and none if you can get away with it.

Ewalk02
08-03-2019, 12:58 AM
First off, thanks for the advice.....but now I need some more. I ended up getting an EGW 20 MOA rail, Vortex precision rings (0.87"), and Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope. Went to the range today to bore sight and set the zero's on my scope but I could never get the elevation down far enough. At 100 yds with the scope fully adjusted down as far as it would go I was still about 14 MOA higher than where my reticle was pointed. Read, then re-read the manual for the scope to make sure I wasn't against a factory zero stop but that wasn't it. No clue what is going on here.

yobuck
08-03-2019, 09:54 AM
First off, thanks for the advice.....but now I need some more. I ended up getting an EGW 20 MOA rail, Vortex precision rings (0.87"), and Vortex Viper PST Gen 2 scope. Went to the range today to bore sight and set the zero's on my scope but I could never get the elevation down far enough. At 100 yds with the scope fully adjusted down as far as it would go I was still about 14 MOA higher than where my reticle was pointed. Read, then re-read the manual for the scope to make sure I wasn't against a factory zero stop but that wasn't it. No clue what is going on here.

Did you bore site the scope by pulling the bolt and aligning the bore with the target, then without moving the gun, align the scope to the target? You don’t need to do that at 100 yds either, 50 yds might be easier for you. I usually just set up the gun on the kitchen table and by looking out a door i can use the door knob on the garage as the target for bore sighting. Put a pc of brass with no primer in the gun and it helps on the larger bore size guns. Don’t get into the habit of looking into the scope while dialing until you are very familiar with what happens. It can be confusing, as the reticle actually moves in the opposite direction from what your mind thinks it should.
So just set the gun up solid on your rest and align the bore on the target. Then without moving the gun, dial the scope in whatever direction it takes to align the reticle on the target also.
By the way, that explains the one shot zero, or how to kill a deer at any distance with just 2 shots without using a rangefinder.

yobuck
08-03-2019, 11:28 AM
It just dawned on me to ask a question i should have asked first.
You did install the scope base correctly? The thicker part in the rear?

JA50N
08-04-2019, 09:30 AM
You did install the scope base correctly? The thicker part in the rear?

My money is on this. I just installed this exact scope on my desert tactical with a 20 MOA rail and had no issues.

Ewalk02
08-04-2019, 07:23 PM
You did install the scope base correctly? The thicker part in the rear?That was the first thing I double checked but it was on correctly. I tore everything down last night and found that the base might not have been seated fully (I hope). I'm traveling for work this week but I plan to go to the range again soon....more to come.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

wbm
08-04-2019, 07:49 PM
FWIWorth the last EGW I got was 0 MOA and it did the same as yours...finally had to just shim it to get the elevation dial out of the basement. Should have sent it back. To make sure it was the EGW rail I replaced it with the first EGW rail I got and the problem went away. I figure they either mislabeled the rail as 0 when it was 20 or just machined it wrong.

Ewalk02
08-05-2019, 06:55 PM
FWIWorth the last EGW I got was 0 MOA and it did the same as yours...finally had to just shim it to get the elevation dial out of the basement. Should have sent it back. To make sure it was the EGW rail I replaced it with the first EGW rail I got and the problem went away. I figure they either mislabeled the rail as 0 when it was 20 or just machined it wrong.Thanks, if I can't get this sorted out I'll send it back. This scope should be able to handle a 20 moa rail no problem.

yobuck
08-07-2019, 11:41 AM
Thanks, if I can't get this sorted out I'll send it back. This scope should be able to handle a 20 moa rail no problem.

If the elevation adjustment is bottomed out and your still 14 minit’s high for sure there is an issue with either the base or the scope.
Im assuming the reticle moves when you turn the dial, and you have the prescribed number of clicks you are supposed to have.
If you have a set of calipers I’d check the dimensions at each end of the base, then call EGW and tell them what you have.
Chances are they sent the wrong base.
If so they should just send the correct one and tell you to keep the original or include a return mailer.

Coastal
08-30-2019, 02:32 PM
On my LRH in .300 win mag I think I just bought a 1 piece Weaver base that is a pic rail with pic slots, not weaver slots. They make two different models. Anyway, no issues. On my Savage Predator I used a Leupold Back Country 1 piece base and it's been fine too.

Ewalk02
09-26-2019, 03:12 PM
Quick update on this issue. I ended up purchasing a new 0 MOA from Leupold, same issue. Swapped out rings, same issue. Swapped out scopes, same issue. I have now sent the rifle back to Savage and I am waiting for their opinion.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk