PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110

bg7m
07-24-2019, 10:09 AM
Just got a 110 as partial trade on another rifle. Serial # dates it made after 1995. It is the pre-accutrigger, 22" thin barrel in 7mm mag. Anyone have one similar and can give details of the accuracy of your rifle made in this time period.
The overall quality of this rifle looks to be pretty good, but the short(for 7mag) and thin barrel has me concerned about the accuracy.
I know i'll have to shoot it to find out for sure, but looking for input from the Savage guys.
I have other 7mag rifles and handle the recoil good, but I think this one will kick like a mule.
thanks for any input

TXRoadlizard
07-24-2019, 11:09 AM
Just got a 110 as partial trade on another rifle. Serial # dates it made after 1995. It is the pre-accutrigger, 22" thin barrel in 7mm mag. Anyone have one similar and can give details of the accuracy of your rifle made in this time period.
The overall quality of this rifle looks to be pretty good, but the short(for 7mag) and thin barrel has me concerned about the accuracy.
I know i'll have to shoot it to find out for sure, but looking for input from the Savage guys.
I have other 7mag rifles and handle the recoil good, but I think this one will kick like a mule.
thanks for any input

My experience with Savage 110, with pencil-thin barrel, is that it should most definitely be "minute of deer." I wouldn't expect a light rifle with thin barrel to print sub-MOA groups as they just aren't designed for that. I gravitated away from 7mm Mag several years ago and now hunt with a .270 110 Savage. It hasn't ever seen a deer walk or run away from a shot, and it doesn't beat the he11 out of me. :)

hamiltonkiler
07-24-2019, 12:41 PM
They are about a 1.5-2 min gun. I’ve had one in .270 and 30-06. Shot the 7mag my buddy has. They are a couple hundred yard deer guns and the big calibers kick like a crazy mule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Hoback
07-24-2019, 01:00 PM
I bought my first Savage rifle right around the same time. Turned 18 in ‘96, and purchased a model 111 in 30-06, that was dated sometime in ‘95. It also had the 22 sported barrel. Now, at the time 100yds was the entirety of distance I could shoot. But given that, I normally would shoot right around 1-2mo. I know now that is quite a deficit. But A., I have grown exponentially since that time, and B., never touched a reload then. In fact, it was fed ONLY a regular diet of Remington Express CoreLokt.

Remember that hat if your’s does not shoot well at all, it’s likely due to barrel age. If the case, a new barrel would most certainly breath new life into the rig.

PhilC
07-25-2019, 10:12 AM
Have one myself but is about 10yrs older than yours. Plain jane, non-checkered stock, plastic butt plate, 24" sporter barrel and will group 150NBTs .42" and 160NPTs to .621" @ 100yds. I've shot deer to 350yds with NBTs. I find it much more pleasant to shoot than my 110 in 30-06.

Pencil barrels will heat quickly so be sure to take your time between shots and let barrel cool when at the range.