PDA

View Full Version : Hunting/tactical LA Hybrid Help

Mountaintrekker
10-23-2010, 01:20 AM
Hello all,
Great site by the way, thanks for having all this great info available. Now on to business... ;D

I know what I want, I just need some help getting there. I want to build a LA specifically 30.06 version of Savage's precision carbine.
I live in Alaska and I would like an everyday carry around rifle with a bit of tactical performance and features that
wont kill me to hump around all day and is a bit compact at 20" barrel length. I understand I will probably have to order a custom barrel and bolt knob which is no problem, but due to where I live, I don't want to send the rifle out to be fitted for a stock etc. I would like to do most if not all the work myself.
Is there a detachable mag kit available for .06 cartridges?
I'd also like to keep the build to less than $2000.00 without optics, does this sound reasonable?
Thanks and please don't jump on me for caliber choice as this is what it has to be for me.
Any info on how to complete this is greatly appreciated.

Mountaintrekker

cowboyarcher
10-23-2010, 06:44 AM
You'll be able to get your barrel for $300-$400 depending on who you get it from. Shilan, McGowen, Benchmark are all higher end barrel makers in that range and they will do pre-fit Savage barrels.

As far as stocks, the sky is the limit. B&C Durmaxx will run about $100 new, or you could get a McMillan, HS, Manners, etc for more like $500-700 tricked out, or $300 more plain.

Action will usually run you $200 after you've sold the stock and barrel off of it.

Tools - Barrel Nut wrench and action vise. Could get by with a home made vise, but the one Midway sell are almost invaluable. Also will need headspace gauges. . . Looking at maybe $150 here.

Bolt handles run $40 and are available from SSS or Stockade, or even from Savage if you like one of their factory ones. $25-$40.

Someone else will have to help you with mags.

Barrel and stock would have potential wait times of 9 months at the longest I'd guess. . .

So I'm getting about $1500 with the about components/tools on the higher end. Even the most costly DBM set up in well under $500, so your $2000 goal should be VERY attainable. Most builds on here are well under $1000, and many of us wish we could spend $2000 on a build ;)

Pay for membership here and you'll gain access to many build articles that will help you. It's really not hard, and you will save a bundle of money.

Adam

2guard
10-23-2010, 12:59 PM
Have you tried the savage custom shop? Maybe call them and check and see if they can build one in 30-06. I don't know if they carry a hb 30-06 barrel or not, but they may be able to rechamber a 308 since they are both 30cal.
If not, I think mcgowen still has the sale on stainless prefits for 265 plus shipping, just about any contour and length you want. from my experience and others on here, a custom barrel from them is about a month wait. Pick up a used 116 rifle for the action (prob cheaper than buying a stainless action new), and then a stock and new recoil lug. check with stockade for a stock (woodchuck, mule deer, etc) and look at the money saver version for 175. Wait time maybe a few months though, best to call or email them.
Cowboyarcher is dead on for about 150 for the barrel nut wrench, action wrench, and go/no-go gages (unless you have a c&r, prob a little cheaper). Definitely get the action wrench, dont mess with the wood barrel block and barrel nut wrench by themselves. The action wrench and barrel nut wrench together make things 100 times easier and quicker.
One warning though, build one and you will want to build more.

Crankfire Systems
10-23-2010, 01:43 PM
For the Detachable Mag you can use either the OEM Savage set up(cheapest way to go) or you can contact Jeff at CDI Precision for his tactical DBM that uses the AICS pattern mags. He can tell you what the mods are for using the 300WM AICS mags (Feed Lips Tweaked).

HTHs
Emory Jones

ellobo
10-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Contact Jim Briggs at Northlander (he advrtises here) for all your needs. Great guy to deal with and full of answers. It has already been said that the custom shop at Savagee may be a good way to go and be under $1000. They take anything they have in stock and use them to build what you want. Personaly if I was in Alaska I would go with a stainless action and barrel with a factory laminate stock. Either way you should be able to do well under $1000. There is no need to buy a $300 barrel, use a Savage barrel Or an Adams and Bennett barrel from MidwayUSA, accurate enough for hunting. Just have it cut to 20". Boyds makes some nice laminate stocks under $100 that may fit your action or can be modified. Cheap can be done. I built a .35 Whelen with a $200 used Savage rebarreled with an Adams and Bennet barrel, a used Savage laminate stock, Stainless barrel nut and trigger guard all for under $500. And the bonus is it shoots MOA with el cheapo Remington ammo. Good luck.
El Lobo

Mountaintrekker
10-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Hey thanks for the info everyone! I just have one question on the vise from Midway, I'm just seeing a barrel vise or an action vise for AR's or Remington 700's which vise is it?

Much Thanks!

Mountaintrekker

cowboyarcher
10-24-2010, 08:30 PM
The Remington 700 vise is the one you're after, both action have the same O.D. . .