PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on brass cleaning with my new Harbor Freight tumbler and pins

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Texas10
07-25-2019, 06:01 PM
With some experimentation and having broken in the pins, I'm getting pretty good results with approximately 50 223 cases and 1 pound of pins in the rock tumbler at one hour. I tried 2 lbs of pins with 50 cases and that resulted in at least half of the cases becoming packed with pins. It took 10-20 seconds of shaking each packed case to get all of the pins to fall out.

Regarding the cleaning solution, I'm using a couple second squirt of dish soap and about a 38 Special case full of LemiShine. My cases are coming out clean and shiny but the brass color has a tinge of brown or tea color, not the usual bright brass hue that I'm used to seeing. It's not a problem but I'm curious as to what is causing that.

In your experiences, what is the effect of using too little or too much LemiShine in the mix?

I had the same experience with pins refusing to empty out of the brass, especially 6.5 CM where they'd jam sideways in the neck. . That all went away when I switched to Sleeping Giant SS bits.

On the Lemishine question, use less and if you're using hot or warm water, try using cold, especially in the rinse stage.

As for removing the SS pins, agitate the case on the surface of the water. The water tension of a partially water filled case helps to kick the pins loose.

Texas10
07-25-2019, 06:06 PM
It's a known fact that dirty brass shoots better.......:boink:

Although I do clean my brass, I belittle it viscously while loading to make it feel dirty. Seems to work! :rolleyes: