PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 Predator Bolt

TAB
10-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I have a buddy with a newly acquired Model 10 Predator. I have a Mod 12 BVSS and have not seen his rifle. He wanted to check headspace without the firing pin assembly and wave washer in place, so I was going to talk him thorugh the bolt disassembly.

We did not get started as he says from my discription, his Mod 10 bolt is not like my Mod 12 bolt. I dug around on the Savage web site and cannot find anything specific to the Mod 10 that would indicate it is different than my Mod 12. The only owner's manual showing the bolt parts is generic to bolt action center fire rifles.

Any help? What's different about the Mod 10 bolt? If it really is different than my Mod 12, any disassembly instructions?

Thanks,

TAB

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2010, 06:41 AM
Depending on age your rifle may not have the cocking indicator like his probably does. The cocking indicator, on newer models, pokes through the 1/4" hex hole in the BAS at the rear of the bolt. This could prevent an allen wrench from seating in the BAS unless the bolt is uncocked.

If his does have the cocking indicator all he needs to do is uncock the bolt then disassemble as normal.

I would be more interested in why he is checking the headspace on a new firearm. If it is new and has a problem I would be more inclined to contact Savage about the repair than try to diagnose and fix it yourself.

Dolomite

Slowpoke Slim
10-23-2010, 06:44 AM
Yes, my first reaction to the question is:

"WHY?"

I think your buddy is trying too hard to over analyze things.

TAB
10-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Dolomite,

You nailed it. It was the cocked indicator. All is well.

His wanting to check headspace was not unusual to me. I don't have many new guns, but I've never taken anything to the range without going through it --- just to make sure.

Thanks for your reply,

TAB

ellobo
10-23-2010, 10:05 PM
On a Savage the headspace is the last thing to worry about. One of the great things about Savage is thier near to perfect as you can get headspace. The barrel nut system is the reason as well as the floating bolt head. Niether you or he has any real reason to check headspace, after all, these arnt Remingtons.

El Lobo