PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Viper

tiny68
10-22-2010, 10:20 PM
Just order a 2-7x Viper to put on my 11 yr olds 308 I put together for him. Was looking at the 3-10x, but decided it was too big. I want a small scope. This will be our first Vortex. Hoping they are as good as you guys state.

Anyone know why they discontinued the Viper line? Thinking about ordering another for a gun to be named later....

Tim

viper9696
10-23-2010, 06:27 AM
I got one last year and love it,very clear and bright in low light,can also say it is waterproof,it rained like crazy last year and no problems .I really want to get another before they are gone.only problem (not really a problem) but I had to mount it on a rail so I could mount it where I wanted it because of the short body,but on an egw it works great.

rossman40
10-24-2010, 12:13 AM
The way I understand it the Viper line isn't going away, just new models and I think the 1" tubes will be gone. You will have the PSTs for the tactical crowd and then the hunting and benchrest models.

tiny68
10-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Scope came today. Viper 2-7x32. Initial impressions are very positive. Clicks are audible and positive. Clarity is outstanding. I like the zoom which is on low power on the left and highest on the right. Nice grip to adjust power. Even came with a bag of free coffee and a free set of Vortex brand rings. Look like ok rings. I got the BDC reticle and I am pleased with that choice. I will mount it up this weekend. I mounted the new McGowen 308 barrel last weekend. Going to shoot Remington managed recoil (125 gr) for break and get some brass. Then will go with the Nosler 125 BTs. Worked some loads up with it last year on a different barrel. Once I get some range time I give a more complete report. Tim

tiny68
10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Dang-it. Went to mount the scope. Too short to mount on my 2 piece weaver bases on the the long action. Got to switch to a 1-piece base. I think I need to buy a short rifle..... Maybe an Edge or a 200 in my son's future.....

viper9696
10-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Dang-it. Went to mount the scope. Too short to mount on my 2 piece weaver bases on the the long action. Got to switch to a 1-piece base. I think I need to buy a short rifle..... Maybe an Edge or a 200 in my son's future.....

I tried to tell you ;D

.only problem (not really a problem) but I had to mount it on a rail so I could mount it where I wanted it because of the short body,but on an egw it works great.

tiny68
10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
sometimes head is just too thick.... :P

GaCop
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
The EGW mount is the way to go.............I too had to learn that the hard way.

Captain Finlander
11-11-2010, 12:13 AM
They make offset rings for the front that will gain about 1/2" which would be easier than going all the way to the base.

jerkin
11-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone know if the standard Talley one piece will work on a viper 3-9x40 or if you need to go extended for the long action rifles? I'm sort of running out of time and will need to order the extended one if that is what I need and send the standards back when they come. Thanks.

Captain Finlander
11-17-2010, 01:58 AM
You opted for the 2-7x32 to mount it as low as possible. My advise is to scrap the weaver concept bases and go with a steel one piece Leupold or Burris. Then get a set of super low rings which will get that scope mounted as low as possible.

http://swfa.com/Savage-C2049.aspx
http://swfa.com/Leupold-Standard-1-Rings-P1141.aspx

tiny68
11-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I already got the EGW rail with the medium Burris Signature Zee rings. Ready pleased with it. This gun is a switch barrel rig. He will hunt whitetails and pigs with it this winter. Then switch over to the 223 or 22-250 for coyotes in January and February using the 6-18x Burris. Then back to a Weaver T36 or SS x16 to let him shoot F-Class this season with a 223. I ready like weaver style Burris Signature Zee rings and I am slowly in the process of switching over completely to them. Tim

Captain Finlander
11-18-2010, 01:49 AM
I can see getting the weaver style mount for easy switching of optics but I would get a set of rings dedicated to each scope. Then switching out doesn't require as much work and will hold a much closer zero. Isn't this one obvious.

tiny68
11-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I can see getting the weaver style mount for easy switching of optics but I would get a set of rings dedicated to each scope.

Exactly what I do. Pull one screw on each ring, slide it off the rail, slide the new one on, replace screw, and back to shooting. Tim

Captain Finlander
11-19-2010, 01:34 AM
OK, then why use mediums for a 32mm objective? It sounds rather confusing to me.