PDA

View Full Version : How tight?

Pages : 1 [2]

hollowhunter
07-23-2019, 05:53 PM
Yes, model 12 dual port with red blade and 3 action screws. I have no idea on shank? When the blade locks it appears the trigger fails to cock upon working the bolt. I assume it's simply too light as suggested. It isn't my rifle, so I doubt I mess with that. Thank you for posting the link, I may try that. I've shot/loaded the load I was given with the gun, and after a bit of testing charge and seating depths on each side of it... the load I was given shoots best.

That said, I am seeing vertical, and getting some flyers. I haven't shot it enough to be used to it, or to see where it want's to be in the bags, so perhaps a few of the flyers are me, or the wind ... certainly not all of them are. I don't have a torque driver to set the action screws, but the rear screw is 5 to 10 lbs at most and the front two are tight. Without the driver I wouldn't be able to bring it back to where it's at now. I have a ocw/ladder test loaded up to shoot @ 200. I'm looking for the same waterline, and I'll explore the results of that. My friend shot a ladder ( all at the same aiming point) @ 100 . He loaded 4/10's spread between charges, and working up... the last 6 shots made one 1/2" to 5/8" hole on the target. I haven't seen that out of it yet, but I know it's there.

Texas10
07-23-2019, 07:32 PM
It is a large shank, important to know if ordering a new custom barrel. Savages are available in small or large shank. The rear action screw torque will make a big difference in your groups. I would humbly suggest you get a torque wrench, Harbor Freight has them for under $20, and start there. Also run a couple dollars stacked together under the barrel to make sure it's free floated. May explain the flyers. Also under the safety tang. I run a .005 feeler under it and remove wood as necessary until it's free floating.

YMMV.

CFJunkie
07-23-2019, 07:44 PM
hollowhunter,

Your symptoms with the Accu-trigger locking up sound very familiar.
I don't think the adjustment mechanism is any different on any of the Accu-triggers.
The springs are different but the adjustment mechanisms that set the springs are the same and the screw that keeps the trigger set can get loose.

I had the Varmint Accu-trigger setting loosen up on an old .308 10 FCP-K after about 2,500 rounds. I initially had set it at 2 lbs. (about 0.5 lb. above minimum).
When the screw loosened, the trigger would lock up when I closed the bolt aggressively. Working the bolt would reset the trigger so I could fire if I was easy on it. Sound familiar?
Also, any pressure to the side also would lock up the trigger, requiring me to re operate the bolt to cock the action.
I tightened up the adjustment screw and reset the trigger to 2 lbs. and put Loc-tite on the threads.
The rifle now has well over 4,000 rounds through it and the trigger is still set at 2 lbs and lock-ups are a thing of the past.

I have never had a problem with the red target Accu-trigger on my 12 LRP after 4,000 rounds.
It came from the factory with the trigger set at 10 oz. but I reset it to 1 lb. 2 oz. because it was too different from all my other target rifles that are set to 2 lbs.

But I am noticing the symptoms of loosening on the Varmint Accu-trigger on my new 12 FV .223 after just under 1,000 rounds. It came from the factory with a 1 lb. 9 oz. trigger, just a bit above the minimum.
I never reset it to 2 lbs. It is just beginning to show the symptoms that my old 10 FCP-K showed if I operate the bolt too aggressively.
I guess I'll have to get out the Loc-tite when I readjust the trigger on the 12 FV .223 also.