PDA

View Full Version : 223 Load ?

racinready300ex
10-22-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm loading up some 223's with H4895, and Hornady 68 grain match BTHP.

Now Hodgon's web page says the max load is 26 grains of powder. I don't think I can get 26 grains in the case with out seating my bullet way out into the lands.

I stopped loading at 25.7 grains, and had to press the bullet several times to compress the powder enough for a 1.875 og (2.295 oal) I get a little ring around the top of the bullet from the pressure on it from the seater die.

Does this seem right? Am I missing something?

dcloco
10-22-2010, 07:41 PM
You need an extended tube to allow the powder to drop in a more compact manner.....is called a powder drop.

Your local McDonald's, Wendy's, etc....has several to choose from. Or, order one from Sinclair, Midway, etc.

Of note, ALL brass has different internal volume...even from the same manufacturer. I have no issues runing 25.0 gr of H4895 in standard 223 cases...but...that is a touch less than you are trying.

Also of concern, are you working your loads up by using a "loading ladder" method? Modified Audette is my preferred method. For small cases, such as the 223, I load in one tenth grain increments.

Your rifle barrel will tell you what it likes...by shooting the loading ladder and tracking your groups. On occasion, yes, the most amount of powder you can cram into a case is what you might find that your barrel likes, but this is the exception, not the rule.

MARK25-06
10-22-2010, 07:45 PM
24.0 gr. of h4895 gets me 2900fps out of my 22" savage. it shoots 1/4" groups all day MARK25-06

racinready300ex
10-22-2010, 09:22 PM
So filling my case through a long straw may help solve the problem? I'll give it a try.

I am planning on doing a ladder test, but didn't load all the way to the book max before running into this.

possum1
10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
I'm having no problem getting 27.0gr in a RP case using a 50gr V-Max.

dolomite_supafly
10-23-2010, 06:45 AM
I vibrate my cases to get more powder into the cases. You can gain another 1/4" of space by doing this. As far as what to use, just find something that has a high cyclic rate and rest it against the side of the case. The finger massagers would probably work really well but I haven't tried those specifically.

Dolomite

sha-ul
10-23-2010, 04:03 PM
I vibrate my cases to get more powder into the cases. You can gain another 1/4" of space by doing this. As far as what to use, just find something that has a high cyclic rate and rest it against the side of the case. The finger massagers would probably work really well but I haven't tried those specifically.

Dolomite

Paging Frank Zappa....... :P

gotcha
10-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Racin' ready, Here's another idea. I had same problem with the 69grn. smk. I tried N-140 when I noticed the Hornady RL manual #7 tauted this powder for all bullet weights in .223. I can get .040" off the the lands before powder compression starts. The N-140 takes visibly less powder for an equivalent velocity of either H or IMR-4895. I've gotem' loaded but haven't been to range yet to do a ladder test so this may all be in vain. If I get really positive results I'll PM you if that's O.K. Dale

racinready300ex
10-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Let me know how that works out for you. I'm thinking about trying different powders, but right now I have alot of 4895 left over from my 308 that needs to be used up.

I think I've found a load for 75 grain hornady Match and they only need 24.2 grains of 4895. So I'll do some more testing with that too. I'd rather use the 75's with .395 BC over the 68's with .355 BC for the longer shots I'm trying to take with this gun.

GaCop
10-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Powder compression isn't all bad. If you compress a charge and the bullet doesn't creep out of the case neck or bulge the case shoulder, your ok. A number of my 223 loads with the long 80/82 grain bullets compress the powder w/o causing me any problems so far.

flashhole
11-02-2010, 10:42 AM

Dolomite

I use an electric toothbrush (without the brush of course) and run the flat part of the vibrating shaft up and down the side of the case. It settles the powder really well.