PDA

View Full Version : Rattlecan Rembrant?

J.Baker
07-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Got my Grayboe stock back from Fred last week - had him add an adjustable comb and glass bed it, and decided to give it a little color.

Before Pic.

After Pic.

Wayne Nixon
07-05-2019, 08:18 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190706/2fb97b288e8f733c64d905035f15a2ec.jpg

Design is similar to one of my Axis from couple years ago. Used rubber to line drawers as pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne Nixon
07-05-2019, 08:23 PM
Just noticed the flag in your picture, got one of those also when I retired from Pine Bluff Arsenal after 29 years.

DesertDug
07-05-2019, 08:23 PM
That looks great. What was the netting mask you used Jim?

big honkin jeep
07-06-2019, 02:59 AM
I Like it :)

PhilC
07-06-2019, 10:45 AM
Looks good Jim!

J.Baker
07-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Just a packet of mesh fabric I picked up at Hobby Lobby for a couple bucks.

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sewing/Sewing-Quilting-Notions/Garment-Accessories/Gray-Mesh-Fabric/p/80898683

Bill2905
07-21-2019, 04:20 PM
Got my Grayboe stock back from Fred last week - had him add an adjustable comb and glass bed it, and decided to give it a little color.

Before Pic.

After Pic.

Jim, did that stock come from the Grayboe factory as a lefty or has it been modified?

J.Baker
07-21-2019, 09:48 PM
I bought it through Red Hawk Rifles (https://redhawkrifles.com/), they're the only outfit I could find offering LH Grayboe stocks.

Having purchased this one, I have to say I'm not super impressed by it. It has a lot of flex in the forearm and the pocket for the recoil lug is excessively wide (front to back). Glass bedding the lug area helped a tad bit with the flex, but knowing what I know now I'd recommend spending a little more for a McMillan.

Bill2905
07-22-2019, 07:45 PM
I bought it through Red Hawk Rifles (https://redhawkrifles.com/), they're the only outfit I could find offering LH Grayboe stocks.

Having purchased this one, I have to say I'm not super impressed by it. It has a lot of flex in the forearm and the pocket for the recoil lug is excessively wide (front to back). Glass bedding the lug area helped a tad bit with the flex, but knowing what I know now I'd recommend spending a little more for a McMillan.

I'm assuming that's a Remington 700. How do you like the Remington action compared to the Savages? I have been tempted to try one but I keep bringing home more Savages.

J.Baker
07-23-2019, 02:59 AM
I'm assuming that's a Remington 700. How do you like the Remington action compared to the Savages? I have been tempted to try one but I keep bringing home more Savages.

It's an ARC Nucleus action which has a Rem 700 footprint. I wanted an action with more reliable controlled-round feed and a less stiff bolt lift, but after some light strike issues and having to get a heavier firing pin spring the bolt lift on the Nucleus is almost as heavy as a factory Savage. Hindsight being what it is, if I were buying today knowing what I know now I'd go with a BigHorn TL3 - especially since today I wouldn't get the pre-order discount I got on the Nucleus when I purchased it so the price difference would only be $100.

Bill2905
07-23-2019, 07:07 AM
It's an ARC Nucleus action which has a Rem 700 footprint. I wanted an action with more reliable controlled-round feed and a less stiff bolt lift, but after some light strike issues and having to get a heavier firing pin spring the bolt lift on the Nucleus is almost as heavy as a factory Savage. Hindsight being what it is, if I were buying today knowing what I know now I'd go with a BigHorn TL3 - especially since today I wouldn't get the pre-order discount I got on the Nucleus when I purchased it so the price difference would only be $100.

With this hobby, it's difficult, if not impossible, to test drive expensive stuff before you plunk down hundreds or thousands of dollars.

Bill2905
07-26-2019, 08:58 PM

If one doesn't require controlled-round feed and does primarily long range shooting from a bench, do you think that the ARC or Bighorn actions offer any advantage or improvement over a trued Remington 700 action for the added cost? Always looking to try new things and have been considering adding a Remington to my collection some day.

J.Baker
07-26-2019, 11:26 PM
For what you can buy a Remington 700 action for these days I would say probably not. The big benefit of the aftermarket actions mentioned is that they accept Savage pre-fit barrels, but you can get Rem-Age barrels from a couple of places now so that's not as big a deal as it used to be if you don't have access to someone install and headspace a standard shouldered barrel for you.

Robinhood
07-27-2019, 12:00 PM
Another good thing about customs like Bighorn is that the have parts that help with trigger timing to reduce the amount of cock on close.

Shepman
08-18-2019, 10:43 PM
I need to do something similar to my stainless coyote rifle that looks great

Gman69
11-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Nice job.