PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Bench Plans

mighty_mace
07-05-2019, 03:54 PM
I drew up a set of plans for a dual shooter bench another member of a 6.5 creedmoor Facebook group I'm a member of made. Figured I'd share them here in the event anyone would be interested.

Shooting Bench plans on my Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1pTCpWg-zlfpcSZ6ivIUl5OfRXfQaJBQ2)

https://i.imgur.com/vGigR5D.jpg

DesertDug
07-05-2019, 06:32 PM
Thanks for sharing that's real nice. Drawn in sketch up?

Could easily be shortened for a single as well.

mighty_mace
07-05-2019, 09:22 PM
It was actually drawn in Solidworks. I may shorten it to a single bench version, I imagine with two people there vibration would be an issue.

Stumpkiller
07-05-2019, 10:00 PM
Sweet. It's on my "to do" list to make myself a permanent bench.

Lets see. We moved here in 2005 . . . :yield:

RCE1
07-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Interesting design, but I'd prefer not to have a fixed bench seat. The best shooting seat I've used is a drummer's "throne". I like to move my seat around, up and down from time to time, depending on the configuration of firearm I'm working with and the targets being engaged. I'm also usually addressing the firearm more from the side than behind, unless I'm working with a handgun. Of course, YMMV.

CFJunkie
07-06-2019, 08:01 AM
Nice work, mighty mace. You obviously have woodworking skill and design talent.

From my experience, I think the seats perpendicular to the line of aim might encourage leaning forward over the rifle, unless you are very careful to get consistent set ups for every shot.
In my recent exodus of attempting to improve my shooting technique and increasing consistency when shooting small groups, I have found that I get the best results when I am parallel to the line of aim.
That is the way I get the best results when I set up standing, as well.
I find that I lose consistency when I can easily change position from shot to shot when leaning forward. I just don't get 'reference position' feedback that I can repeat.
Moving forward and backward changes the eye position just a bit with respect to the rear optic, causing the POI to move up or down respectively if I move in or out.
Also leaning forward tends to encourage me to let the stock butt move out of the notch between my neck an my shoulder that causes recoil to move the barrel to the right.
I find that that moves the POI also by a bit.
The combination of effects can add up to 0.5 inches to very tight groups.

HalfTrack
07-06-2019, 03:28 PM
That is a very nice looking bench. Thank you for sharing it with us.