PDA

View Full Version : 111 misfire issue/question

pdsass
07-04-2019, 07:11 PM
I just bought a 30-06 111 trophy hunter package. I took a box of core lokt to the range and 7 of the 20 shells didn't fire. They all had dents in the primer so I know it's not an issue with the accutrigger. In a second box 5 of 20 didn't fire. I first thought I had bad primers in the ammo but I've never heard of that many in the box being bad. Anyone ever have this with a brand new gun? I'm trying to figure out what I can check myself before sending it back to Savage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Robinhood
07-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Some things to consider.

Try different ammunition
Check headspace
Check firing pin protrusion(if head space is good, anything over .035" is sufficient)
A dirty or gunked up firing pin/bolt assembly from dried out or wrong lubricant

Coyote_Hunter
07-04-2019, 11:25 PM
If this was a used rifle the firing pin spring could also be the culprit. Buddy stored his Ruger with the spring compressed when he wasn't hunting. After several years he experienced misfires in the cold. Replaced the spring and a factory new one was a couple inches longer than the old one.

pdsass
07-05-2019, 08:36 AM
If this was a used rifle the firing pin spring could also be the culprit. Buddy stored his Ruger with the spring compressed when he wasn't hunting. After several years he experienced misfires in the cold. Replaced the spring and a factory new one was a couple inches longer than the old one.

I got this one brand new just last month, but I guess could still be a spring issue.

Slowpoke Slim
07-06-2019, 08:42 PM
I would start by taking the bolt out and stripping it down, clean and reassemble all the parts. If that doesn't cure it, then I'm suspecting headspace issue. It would be rare to have one on a brand new gun, but I guess it's possible.

We are assuming your ammo was all new factory loaded ammo? Not handloads/reloads?

pdsass
07-07-2019, 09:57 AM
I would start by taking the bolt out and stripping it down, clean and reassemble all the parts. If that doesn't cure it, then I'm suspecting headspace issue. It would be rare to have one on a brand new gun, but I guess it's possible.

We are assuming your ammo was all new factory loaded ammo? Not handloads/reloads?

Yeah I bought two boxes of core lokts when I got ge firearm. Anyone know where I can find good instructions on disassembling the bolt?

Robinhood
07-07-2019, 10:57 AM
Savage is in the process of changing the firing pin spring to different style than the older heavier pin and spring. We have had a gentleman with a 223 complain about light strikes. You could contact Savage. Don't assume the factory ammo is right or it is compatible with YOU'RE rifles headspace.

For the old style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TKE41dDOHQ

Robinhood
07-07-2019, 11:06 AM
This is the axis bolt that Savage is transitioning its 110 models to. At least some of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oues2vw_zqA

pdsass
07-10-2019, 11:42 AM
I got new ammo (hornady whitetail) and every round fired except one. Here's the weird part and maybe someone who knows more about this can help me out. The first day I had all those misfires I was loading one round at a time directly into the chamber. Today I loaded every round into the mag and they all fired. The only one that didn't was one I loaded without putting it into the magazine. Is this normal on a savage rifle? My other rifles don't do this, I had my Thompson venture with me today and loaded single shots in and they were fine. Should I contact savage or is this just how they function? Thanks.

Fotheringill
07-10-2019, 12:56 PM
May we assume you are still under warranty?

Either way, get a small box of other ammo brand. If there is still a problem, contact Savage.

Slowpoke Slim
12-01-2019, 02:44 PM
I got new ammo (hornady whitetail) and every round fired except one. Here's the weird part and maybe someone who knows more about this can help me out. The first day I had all those misfires I was loading one round at a time directly into the chamber. Today I loaded every round into the mag and they all fired. The only one that didn't was one I loaded without putting it into the magazine. Is this normal on a savage rifle? My other rifles don't do this, I had my Thompson venture with me today and loaded single shots in and they were fine. Should I contact savage or is this just how they function? Thanks.

This is not normal. I'm suspecting dirty or damaged/bent extractor on your bolt. The extractor is not snapping over the top of the rim of the case like it's supposed to. Remove the bolt from the gun, then carefully remove the extractor, so the spring doesn't take off for parts unknown (some guys do it with the bolt head in a ziplock bag to catch the part.

Check the extractor and spring for dirt, burrs, machining chips, etc, being caught between it and the bolt face.