PDA

View Full Version : Savage stealth evolution cocking

GregW
07-04-2019, 04:57 AM
My first post so bear with me. I have just purchased a second hand Savage Stealth Evolution in 6.5 Creedmore. I used it at the range for the first time yesterday. No problem and great. Today I was giving it a clean and for no obvious reason I cannot cock it. The bolt will travel all the way in but will not push down to “cock” position. I’ve checked for any junk or cleaning oth I may have left in the action anywhere, have blown out, with compressed air, but will not cock. Any thoughts? I had an F class model 10 a few years ago and had trouble with the sear. Could this be the issue again. Cheers, GregW

Dave Hoback
07-04-2019, 07:22 AM
Remove the bolt and reset the cocking piece pin. Most likely it was bumped & dropped over the ramp in the bolt body. Check it. To reset, just push the pin braced against a piece of wood.

Robinhood
07-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Decocked, If you will look closer your bolt is not traveling all the way in. The bolt is in the cocked position when the cocking piece pin is at the farthest point away from the bolt head,... at the top of the cocking ramp.

Dave Hoback
07-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Decocked, If you will look closer your bolt is not traveling all the way in. The bolt is in the cocked position when the cocking piece pin is at the farthest point away from the bolt head,... at the top of the cocking ramp.

Did I not explain it easy enough Robin? Just wondering if my wording lead you to think I was talking about something else? Was trying to use the most basic terminology I could think. But maybe I missed the mark? Or was it clear and you were seconding the motion?

Just curious, in case I need to rethink my approach in the future.

Robinhood
07-04-2019, 10:43 PM
You did fine sir. I originally posted something that was quite different than what you stated. Then I realized you were right and I was wrong, so I just followed up with a post that concurred with you. Since you cant delete a useless post, I had to put something in there. I added a few things for clarification. I second the motion.

https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.patchcdn.com%2Fusers%2F29231% 2F2012%2F06%2FT800x600%2Feb07d33d0ff3d644b0291b982 dbe6d19.jpg&f=1

sharpshooter
07-05-2019, 01:24 AM
The front screw is hitting the bolt head.

Dave Hoback
07-05-2019, 08:10 AM
Possible it’s the front screw... but I’m leaning towards the it being in decocked state, As Robin & I believe. It makes sense as the OP said he shot it, worked fine & then he “CLEANED” it. I’m guessing he had the bolt out, was cleaning it & the cocking pin dropped.

Whats the word Greg??

DesertDug
07-05-2019, 10:02 AM
The front screw is hitting the bolt head.

This was my first thought. I have run into this personality, however OP did not mention messing with the scoope mount. I could see bumping the cocking pin while cleaning.

Check both.

DesertDug
07-05-2019, 10:03 AM
Dang Dave you type faster then me as your last post was not posted when I started my reply

Dave Hoback
07-05-2019, 11:35 AM
LOL! The “FORCE” is strooong with this one!

CFJunkie
07-05-2019, 11:45 AM
And you type quickly too.:rolleyes:

Robinhood
07-05-2019, 01:02 PM
I don't think the scope base screw has anything to do with it. Obviously if the bolt is not decocked the next and only other option is the front action screw as sharpshooter stated. The front action screw has been an issue more times on this forum than the bolt being decocked to be honest.

Whats the word Greg??

We may never know. 1st post.

DesertDug
07-05-2019, 06:35 PM
Ya Robinhood is right, I miss spoke it is the front action screw that I meant. I was working on my scoope mount and that what clouded my mind..

I don't think the scope base screw has anything to do with it. Obviously if the bolt is not decocked the next and only other option is the front action screw as sharpshooter stated. The front action screw has been an issue more times on this forum than the bolt being decocked to be honest.

We may never know. 1st post.