PDA

View Full Version : Documented results from replacing the 12 FV factory stock with an Oryx Chassis

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

CFJunkie
03-20-2020, 05:52 PM
mnbogboy2,

Thanks for bringing the missing final comparison to my attention.

I've been keeping the data on both the factory stock and the Oryx chassis from the inception.

This may help with seeing the results overall for all the loads that are listed in the two threads.

david12601
03-21-2020, 04:48 PM
Thanks for posting all your data......I will have to wait a bit as all non essential travel is restricted in new york york and the gun club is on lockdown..........will give me time to try your case prep method ....enjoyed reading and learning from you...........stay safe CF

teele1
04-17-2020, 10:59 AM
My complements to the OP for the excellent detailed account of loading and impact on target

My question is where did your barrel time spec come from. MY 26" OBT chart shows 1.330ms and you used 1.360ms.
No contradiction just looking for inforrmation on how you came to that.

appreciate you time and information

Fuj'
04-17-2020, 03:19 PM
I've been keeping the data on both the factory stock and the Oryx chassis from the inception.

Probably ought to add in barrels also. :cool: Everything has
been a good read. I Appreciate that.....I sent your pic of the
Sinclair Bipod off to a good shooting partner of mine. We have
been shooting off bipods for so many years now, I feel it's time
for him to evolve, and an excuse for the club to build a few
more benches to work better with the wider pods, and a little
longer for the Lab Radars. And hopefully your Range will not be
down for long. Ours is still available, but pushing our luck with
the County Exec.

CFJunkie
04-18-2020, 12:38 PM
teele1,

I calculated it based upon the reflection speed of a 26-inch 3% carbon steel barrel (19,107 fps) common for a Savage standard barrel.
All of my savages seem to show that that calculation works so that speed seems to be valid for a Savage barrel.
Reflection time will change based upon the steel of your barrel and the % of carbon and other metals in the steel mix.

'Old' barrel steel generally has a reflection speed of 18,916 fps probably because it was a bit light on carbon.
The materials handbook gives a general speed of 20,000 fps for stainless steel but there are a variety of stainless steel mixes.
A 4140 or 4150 stainless steel barrel has a reflection speed of 19,969 fps.
416R stainless steel has a reflection speed of 20,014 fps.

CFJunkie
04-18-2020, 12:46 PM
Fug'

I swear by my Sinclair F-class bipods. (I have two of them and have been using them for almost 7 years.)

I have had to replace the cloth pads between the stock and the bipod on each of them, but I think they are much more stable as front rest than my much more expensive Sinclair adjustable rest. For one thing, the front of the stock doesn't move around and I can get a repeatable set up much easier.
With a solid rear bag, I use a large Protektor, the rifle stays stable during cease fires and I can get back behind the rifle and set-up immediately.
Also the Sinclair bipod doesn't hop like most bipods on recoil, it just slides back.
I don't have to front load the Sinclair bipod to keep it from hopping.

I think it is well worth the money and I have gotten my monies worth out of both of them.
I probably have shot about 20,000 rounds over each of them.

TommyD11730
11-16-2020, 03:21 PM
I love this thread. So much so I'm considering a scope upgrade 1st vs replacing my 12fv (223) stock.
It's nice to have options. 😊

TommyD11730
11-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Bumped by accident. Please delete.

mikeinco
11-22-2020, 06:24 PM
SO did you use the 36x target scope on the rifle before the stock change ?
cause the scope you started with would basically invalidate any comparison(pos)

CFJunkie
11-22-2020, 09:23 PM
Hey Mike, give me a little credit for knowing how to perform a valid comparison.
I've only been doing comparisons like this for 50 years.

Since the scope I started with on first day that I shot the 12 FV with the factory stock was the same Sightron scope I used when I switched to the Oryx chassis, how could that invalidate the comparison?
All the comparative data with the factory stock and the Oryx platform listed was using the exact same Sightron scope, not the same model, but the exact same scope.
The stock was the only item different in the comparison.

The Sightron scope wasn't even moved off the 12 FV receiver.
I just removed the factory stock and dropped the 12 FV rifle with the scope still mounted into the Oryx chassis leaving the scope attached to the receiver.
I compared the data shot with the factory stock with the Sightron scope only to the data shot with the same Sightron scope on the Oryx chassis.

If you read some of my later treads, you probably noticed that I changed to a Leupold 45x45mm scope about the time the range reopened.
I got the scope from a buddy who moved just after COVID hit and they closed our range.
I needed to order rings for the Leupold scope so it was mounted during the time the range was closed.

The last post with data on this thread was on March 20th, 4 days after they closed our range for COVID.
The data in the post that compared the results for the factory stock and Oryx chassis was all gathered before the range was closed.
I shot for the last time with the Sightron scope, the day before the range closed.

On May 20th, I hadn't even mounted the the Leupold scope on the 12 FV yet.
I mounted the new rings and the Leupold on the Oryx chassis so a reasonable comparison of the Sightron and the Leupold could only be between data shot with the Oryx chassis.

On the later thread, only one item (the Leupold scope replacing the Sightron scope) was being changed and would be compared on a later compilation thread that I just posted.
But I hadn't shot enough rounds with the Leupold to do any comparisons until the Fall, well after the range reopened in May.
The factory stock will never be mounted on the 12 FV again so a comparison of the Leupold on the Oryx chassis versus the Leupold on the Factory stock will not be possible.

mikeinco
11-22-2020, 11:04 PM
no i was commenting on the 8-32x pos you started with...your post not mine

"Leatherwood 8-32x56mm scope"

CFJunkie
11-23-2020, 07:36 AM
While you were picking nits you should have read a bit further.

In the first post for the 12 FV on 3-19-2019, I did report "I mounted a cheap Leatherwood 8-32x56mm scope I bought on a big sale but never used just to break in the new rifle. Based on these results, I think there is a scope upgrade in this rifle's future."
In post #7, the next post with data on 3-21-2019, I reported "I had a new scope loosen up when I was shooting the 60 TMK load and lost some groups. It also may be why that load didn't shoot too well."
I didn't wait long to replace the cheap Leatherwood scope, did I.

I quickly realized during break-in that the cheap bargain scope was a bad choice and mounted the Sightron 36X which stayed on the 12-FV until after our range was closed for COVID almost exactly one year later. All my comparison data included only the data from the Sightron scope.

In my compilation of data in my most recent thread on the 12 FV .223, I compared the Sightron and Leupold 45X scope but that was only with the Oryx chassis.

mikeinco
11-23-2020, 11:29 AM
well i was lost in your text
you mentioned the 8-32x was unused, and then said the "new" scope came loose....
you never said what the "new"scope was, and the 8-32x was the last actual mention of a scope.