PDA

View Full Version : Will Savage sell just a barrel?

Pages : [1] 2

Newtosavage
06-30-2019, 10:21 PM
I haven't called them yet, but I'm wondering if I can order just a barrel direct from Savage.

I've been looking for a newer 7mm-08 barrel for a long time and just can't find one. I nearly bought a donor Axis rifle today just for the barrel, then realized how silly that would be. But I'm getting desperate! LOL

DesertDug
06-30-2019, 10:47 PM
Any of the after market custom barrel makers should be able to set you up. As for savage selling them, I do not know.

short round
06-30-2019, 11:34 PM
Savage will not sell barrel alone, but will sell & install one if rifle is sent to them. If it were me I would buy & install after market.

Dave Hoback
07-01-2019, 02:16 AM
I agree. If you can’t find an aftermarket barrel in 7mm-08, you aren’t looking very much!

Less expensive.. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/954100A & https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eabco.net/Shaw-Barrel-fits-Savage-10110-and-Axis-7-08-Rem-195-Stnls-FC_p_15568.html%3famp=1

Recommended!! Go to any one of the barrel manufacturers that offer Pre Fit barrels for Savage. McGowan, Shillen, X-Caliber, Criterion, PAC-Nor, etc..to name a few!

Nor Cal Mikie
07-01-2019, 08:14 AM
And just about ANY aftermarket barrel will be better than a OEM barrel from Savage. When building, that's the first thing you replace if that says anything.;)

Dave Hoback
07-01-2019, 08:43 AM
That’s a new one on me. I can think of several things that will increase accuracy potential over replacing the barrel. And I’ve come into contact with several STOCK barrel Savages that were Sub MOA shooters. Of course it’s an objective opinion, and you are welcome to yours. But IMHO, recommending that barrel replacement should be FIRST is simply NOT sound advice. This is of course, given one’s disposable income is a finite source. If money is no object, go mashugana!

DesertDug
07-01-2019, 09:35 AM
I tend to agree with dave. I would think the Stock seems like the week link on most savage riffles in my little humble experiences with them.

GaryB
07-01-2019, 10:07 AM
There is this option also...

https://www.eabco.net/Shaw-Barrel-fits-Savage-10110-and-Axis-7-08-Rem-195-Blue-FC_p_15559.html

CFJunkie
07-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Several years ago, my old Savage 10 FP .308 had shot so many rounds and eroded the chamber enough that I was beginning to see some degradation in accuracy.
I bought a new barrel from Savage and had them install it because I didn't have the time or the inclination to do it myself and local gunsmiths wanted about $800 and wouldn't promise returning the rifle in less than 8 months.
I had Savage replace the barrel and upgraded the old 2008 standard 10 FP .308 barrel ($133 for the same barrel quoted by Savage) to a target barrel ($166 also quoted by Savage) and had it fluted for $ 30 more.
Turns out the new barrel also came suppressor ready for a total cost of $ 196 for the new barrel.

Total cost for barrel and gunsmithing charges including shipping was $427 (shipping and gunsmithing charges were $ 231) and the rifle was returned to me in 30 days.
They buffed the stock and cleaned up everything to look like new, except for the 6,500 rounds of wear marks on the bolt.

The original barrel was a pretty good shooter to begin with.
The new barrel out-shot the original barrel on group average by 0.2 inches and is now my most accurate .308.

I was very pleased with their work and the speed of their service.
If anyone doesn't have the time or the inclination to do it themselves, I would recommend you let Savage do the work.
They gave me multiple options before I made my final choice and their barrel replacement was top notch.

Fotheringill
07-01-2019, 02:00 PM
OP-

The answer is a resounding NO. They will charge full price for the barrel, charge for the gunsmith to install (even a drop in) and you pay for shipping both ways.

I wanted one to replace my shot out Savage barrel (dead accurate and long lasting BTW) and went with a Shilen replacement for a lot less money. Good barrel but not as accurate as the Savage.

Fotheringill
07-01-2019, 02:01 PM
BTW- Try purchasing a $2.00 replacement trigger spring from Savage and let us know how THAT turns out.

charlie b
07-01-2019, 03:12 PM
OP-

The answer is a resounding NO. They will charge full price for the barrel, charge for the gunsmith to install (even a drop in) and you pay for shipping both ways.

I wanted one to replace my shot out Savage barrel (dead accurate and long lasting BTW) and went with a Shilen replacement for a lot less money. Good barrel but not as accurate as the Savage.

That's the first time I have heard a Shilen wasn't more accurate than a factory barrel. Any reason why? I guess you had a really good factory barrel?

Fotheringill
07-02-2019, 01:38 PM
That's the first time I have heard a Shilen wasn't more accurate than a factory barrel. Any reason why? I guess you had a really good factory barrel?

charlie b:

It was indeed exceptionally accurate and went 8500 rounds before opening up on the target. it is a .223 F/TR with target Accutrigger and my best load for accuracy was nowhere near over loading.

I generally shoot benchrest for groups of five shots. Sunday, with the Shilen barrel, I was consistently 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, with several groups 1/4 MOA and one group (out of a total of 15 groups) that was .114. We will see what this weekend holds for me and I may have to revise my assessment of the Shilen (for me, anyway).

charlie b
07-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping the .223 barrel on my Axis goes for just as long (only about 2000rnds now). It is more accurate than I can shoot. 1" 5shot groups at 200yds are not unusual, if I can do my part. If the stars and moon align I can do a bit better. If it ever goes I was going to replace it with a Shilen.

Newtosavage
07-03-2019, 11:48 PM
I leave for a few days and wow!

First of all, I don't want an aftermarket barrel. I want a Savage factory barrel because I want the gun to look like a factory gun. None of the links provided above (thank you by the way) are for barrels with factory lengths and finishes, so I'll pass. If the Numrich barrel was matte blue instead of polished blue, I'd probably go with that.

Interesting about having to send the rifle to Savage. Mine is a hybrid build already, so I'm not sure how that might affect their service. I guess I could call them to see. But first I wanted to see if anyone had been able to simply order a factory barrel. Sounds like the answer is no.

Since I want a factory barrel, I'll either keep looking or I'll just buy an Axis on sale and pull the barrel myself. I nearly did this Sunday when I found a youth model Axis with a 20" 7mm-08 barrel on it. That is exactly what I want - a matte blue 20" 7mm-08 barrel.

I could order one from Shaw (I've done that before in another caliber) but that would cost me as much as the complete Axis youth model rifle. I might as well pull the factory barrel off an Axis, throw on another cheap barrel and give that gun away to someone who needs their first hunting rifle. So that's probably what I'll end up doing.

As for factory barrels and accuracy, every Savage factory barrel I've ever owned has shot sub-MOA for me and the three I own right now are all 3/4 or better. I don't need an aftermarket barrel to get the accuracy I want for a hunting rifle. Savage barrels have always delivered plenty.

GaryB
07-04-2019, 08:33 AM
Have you tried here...

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/

Newtosavage
07-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Have you tried here...

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/clearance/

Didn't see any sporter profile 7mm-08's there, but I'll keep them in mind. Thanks!

Wolf
07-04-2019, 10:16 AM
I've never put a barrel on a rifle I've never changed one from a 30 ought 6 to a 223 or anything like that but every Savage I've ever bought shoot lights out I think they got pretty good barrels I think CZ is pretty good barrels

Sent from my LM-X410.FGN using Tapatalk

Robinhood
07-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Another option. Wilson barrel, 7-08, $270.00 (plus shipping?).
Call or e-mail John at 415-705-9498 or e-mail john@raggedholebarrels.net

Newtosavage
07-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Another option. Wilson barrel, 7-08, $270.00 (plus shipping?).
Call or e-mail John at 415-705-9498 or e-mail john@raggedholebarrels.net

Savage Axis compact has a 20" 7mm-08 barrel and is $299 for the whole gun, which is why I asked the original question.