PDA

View Full Version : How do I select the right scope for proper eye relief?

Bill2905
06-30-2019, 08:50 PM
I just put a Magpul PRS Gen 3 stock on my 10 BA Stealth. Took it to the range this morning and already concluded that it is a big upgrade to the factory butt stock.

Just one problem: I have a Leupold VX-3i 4.5-14X40 side focus scope mounted on this rifle. It's a short scope at 12.2 inches and with the longer length of pull, I can't obtain a good sight picture at higher magnification without really craning my neck forward. The scope is mounted as far to the rear as possible. I suspected that this would happen when I considered the Magpul PRS so don't feel too badly for me.

Since I know that eye relief with shorter scopes is an issue with this rifle's setup, what should I look for in a scope if I want to replace the Leupold? Is it as simple as just picking one with a longer overall length or a longer length on the back half? Or do you have other recommendations on how to approach this?

Thanks

jpdown
06-30-2019, 09:29 PM
What type of scope rings and bases are you using?

Robinhood
07-01-2019, 12:48 AM
Yep, you could use a picatinny. More slots to move the whole setup rearward.

Bill2905
07-01-2019, 09:01 AM
What type of scope rings and bases are you using?

Warne fixed steel rings on the stock 20 MOA picatinny rail.

Robinhood
07-01-2019, 04:23 PM
You need to move the rear ring as far back as it will go. Slide the scope back until the ocular lens is in the right location. Put the front ring as far forward as it will go without having to move the scope forward. Done.

celltech
07-01-2019, 04:34 PM
What Robinhood said. I am having a hard time trying to imagine how you can't get proper eye relief with that setup?????

Rstrick0352
07-02-2019, 01:40 AM
A cantilever mounted backwards will help as well. Just make sure it doesn’t have any built in tilt.

Robinhood
07-02-2019, 04:35 PM
There is really no need for a cantilever scope mount on anything but a chassis and that's really a never either. The OP has everything he needs.

Bill2905
07-02-2019, 09:24 PM
What Robinhood said. I am having a hard time trying to imagine how you can't get proper eye relief with that setup?????

I was able to get another 3/16 inch of movement to the rear and that gave a noticeable improvement at over 9X. Was surprised at how much that short movement helped. Beforehand, it was good at 4-9X but became marginal at higher magnification. Thanks to all for your suggestions and support.

Bill