PDA

View Full Version : Input and opinion

Limbwalker
06-30-2019, 03:46 PM
I’m in the market for a new deer rifle in 25-06 and have been eying the Axis II XP and 116 Trophy Hunter XP. Can some of you guys that are more seasoned in the Savage arena shed some light on the differences in these two guns, aside from the differences in weight and included optic? I don’t want to spend the money on a custom rig for plinking/target shooting, just hoping to get the low-down on the differences in these two and any opinions on them you might have - including which one you’d jump into if you were me.

strut64
06-30-2019, 05:14 PM
Either choice will work and the caliber choice is also excellent. You really can't make a mistake.

celltech
06-30-2019, 06:51 PM
Both will bring deer home all day long. The 116 action would be considered a bit nicer and smoother, and the bolt handle will clear scopes better if you slam them down low. The 116 should also have more upgrade choices if you want to change the stock. If you want a cheap plinker then go Axis.

charlie b
06-30-2019, 06:56 PM
The Axis is a different action than the Trophy Hunter (110 style action). They should both have Accutriggers but the 110 action has more aftermarket support. The Trophy Hunter might also have a better stock out of the box.

They can both be extremely accurate rifles. I love my Axis in .223 with a heavy barrel. But, I put a Boyd's stock on it and replaced the scope with a Vortex. I also have a 12 BVSS, so kinda both ends of the spectrum.

If I were to get another rifle it would probably be the least expensive 110 type with a heavy barrel. Model 12FV maybe.

Dave Hoback
06-30-2019, 07:22 PM
Get the 116. Savages we’re already decent, inexpensive rifles. Don’t know what the point of a CHEAPER Savage was in the Axis. The 1X/11X see are simply better rifles in every way, shape & form. It’s the same question as would you rather a Rem. 700 or 783? Easy answer for both questions.

Robinhood
07-01-2019, 12:44 AM
No poop. Cheapest made rifle gets cheaper.

Dave Hoback
07-01-2019, 02:00 AM
Well I get it. Savage is a large corporation, and they must continue bringing new models to the market. Otherwise advertisers will stop. Look at Hi-Point! Worst,& cheapest pistol made! But because they are cheap, work reliably and tough..., they sell quite a few guns. But, they still chose to bring a new gun to market. The company dubbed it the G1, but allowed their constituents to “vote” on another name to print on the side. It’s now called the YEET CANNON! No, I am not joking! Look it up!

Please do not confuse that I am, in ANY WAY, comparing the Hi-Point to Savage in terms of quality! Not at all! Only in marketing ploy.

TXRoadlizard
07-01-2019, 11:29 AM
I’m in the market for a new deer rifle in 25-06 and have been eying the Axis II XP and 116 Trophy Hunter XP. Can some of you guys that are more seasoned in the Savage arena shed some light on the differences in these two guns, aside from the differences in weight and included optic? I don’t want to spend the money on a custom rig for plinking/target shooting, just hoping to get the low-down on the differences in these two and any opinions on them you might have - including which one you’d jump into if you were me.

I'd buy the 116 TH-XP if funds weren't a consideration. If you're looking for a Deer hunting rifle that will be shot maybe 20-rounds per season, the Axis II XP would be completely fine. I shoot a .270 111 TH XP for Deer hunting and it puts meat in the freezer every year. I shoot it at most 30 rounds per year, with scope verification, hunting deer, and miscellaneous. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either in terms of killing deer.

charlie b
07-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Forgot. The Axis XP that I have came with a 4-12x40 Bushnell scope. Duplex reticle. It wasn't a great scope but it worked fine. The turret adjustments weren't too bad. As long as you made the movements the same each time they would adjust for windage and elevation just fine.

So, it really depends on you. The Axis will do the job but the 116 is a better rifle (and a better scope).