PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy forward scope rail --- Savage Hog Hunter to Scout

Oystershooter
06-29-2019, 02:46 PM
Hi members,

I own a hog hunter with 18" and would like to purchase the forward mounting or extended rail.

Where can I get one like the mounts included on the Savage Scout?

Robinhood
06-29-2019, 10:48 PM
I dont think it will fit the hog hunter

Dave Hoback
06-30-2019, 06:58 AM
I agree with Robin. Would think the Scout is fit with a series of unique parts.., barrel, mount, etc. I believe the closest you’ll be able to come is to mount a standard rail followed by a normal extended rail on top. Like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Lion-Gears-Tactical-Extended-Cantilever/dp/B00N65LIVG

Robinhood
06-30-2019, 11:16 AM
I would still want a support out front. What scope are you planning to use?

If you have trouble finding what you need a good red dot works well also.

Dave Hoback
06-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Oh yes! I agree completely Robin. I was just outlining what I believe would be the only option, like that. There are also the forward extended, 1-piece scope scope mount/ring assemblies, as used by many AR15s. They can can mount a scope “fairly” far forward. But with that much eye relief, you would need a pistol scope.

Im curious Oystershooter, what is it about that set up that attracts you? Is it for the looks? Which of course, is fine....just that from a performance standpoint, a scope with normal eye relief is the better performer. And if it’s iron sights you are after, the longer eye relief is even MORE an advantage.

Newtosavage
07-04-2019, 10:15 PM
It's doable. I installed a Savage scout rail on my brother's model 10 .308 by drilling and tapping the barrel at the correct position. It worked fine and his rifle is extremely accurate with a 4x Weaver scout scope on it.

Oystershooter
07-05-2019, 04:21 PM
I like the concept of a scout rifle and found it fascinating to have a forward mounted scope. (Think Steyr Scouts and Savage Scout and their forward picatinny rails)

But it seems red dots are now the technology to replace forward mounted pistol-style scopes on rifles for fast target acquisition.
Just wondering if it was possible without making too much custom machining or modification of parts.

If you havent seen this video, definitely worth checking out. Make's me want to be scout rifle armed action hero. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x7N8hLI2yM