PDA

View Full Version : model 16 confusion

red caddy 51
06-28-2019, 09:04 AM
I have a mod 16 bottom drop magazine rifle, the mag clips directly into the stock. I want an aftermarket thumbhole or pilaster style sniper stock, but all I find say blind magazine or bottom iron style only. what's a mother to do?

Thanks, Paul

Stumpkiller
06-28-2019, 03:09 PM
I added a E.Arthur Brown bottom "metal" (plastic) to my Botd's thumbhole stock.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Molded-Plastic-Magazine-Well--Plastic-Bottom-Metal_p_14780.html

I bedded it in and it is just dandy.
https://i.imgur.com/bAFGHY5.jpg

red caddy 51
06-28-2019, 05:07 PM
Thanks very much for the link. I'm about to pull the trigger on a 209-DM 12 stock and the plastic bottom iron, I think I will bed as you did, in lieu of pillars.

Although, I am considering knocking the little aluminum rings out and using full pillar and recoil lug bedding to the action. Primary use will be with a 25-'06 varmint weight barrel. also from Shaw, the $199.00 varmint special.

Comments?

Thanks again, Paul

Stumpkiller
06-28-2019, 09:15 PM
Make sure you get the "long" bottom if you are going .25-06

Mine has full pillars. The forward in the image above had a gap as the Brown bottom only had a thinner insert (steel). I needed to relieve the shaft of the pillar at the trigger for clearance of the mechanism.

red caddy 51
06-29-2019, 07:58 AM
OK, Thank you very much for such a complete answer, I get it now.
Right now,too many projects on the bench at one time. The mod 16 is using a .308 barrel, so the short bottom plastic will be fine, and full pillars are the way to go, that top picture convinced me, Some days I'm slow, other days, not that good...

The other project is an Edge, now in .308, (that barrel will be cut to 17 inches, braked and used on my Striker) soon to be 25-'06. What I'd really like is a pilaster style super sniper stock for it, but that also seems to be eluding me at present... I have a Choate machine stock on a Rem 700, heavy barrel varminter and I absolutely love it. Any suggestions on that one? Thanks again, Paul in da swamp.

Robinhood
06-29-2019, 12:18 PM
I'm not certain but I believe the Axis style mag and frame plastic has a second generation with a better latch/release than the 1st gen. I don't have details though.