PDA

View Full Version : Replicating a 110BA

Carl
06-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Looking to purchase the Savage 22863 10/110BA Stealth Evolution 300 WinM. Bronze is cool, however I truly want it in Flat Dark Earth. I got quotes from Cerakote shops for $250 to paint it FDE.
The 110BA I found online for $1350, plus $250 to paint it. Total $1600.

Funny enough, the parts are all made in FDE by their manufacturers. The Drake Chassis sell in FDE, it's on their website. The Magpul stock also sells in FDE. But Savage does not offer the 110BA in those colors.

Pardon my stupidity here, I've never built/worked on guns or bought parts. But am I correct that it would NOT be cheaper to order those parts in FDE and put it together?

The Drake Hunter-Stalker Chassis is $799.
The Magpul PRS® GEN3 Stock is $254
Custom fluted 24" barrel... $300-$350 (?)
Savage Bolt $150 (?)
Action (?)
That's over $1,500 already.

Robinhood
06-27-2019, 09:46 PM
Chassis w/butt stock purchased used on an internet forum:
$450
Used Savage action w bolt:
$300
Barrel of your choice of calibers:
$350 - $500
Scope base and rings of reasonable quality:
$150

This is a tool not a wedding dress. Build it. Shoot it. Then put lipstick on it.

Dave Hoback
06-28-2019, 07:16 AM
I agree. You may even get lucky. I picked up my last doner rifle for $180! Also, ceramic/epoxy firearms coatings have come a long way in the last decade. Brownells Aluma-Hyde II, and Duracoat Aerosol are truly amazing for the DIY’er. Even Cerekote “air dry” that can be applied with a cheaply purchased air brush system is still under $100 all said & done.

I had a 1911 frame professionally Cerekoted years ago. I paint all items myself these days.

Beowoulf2000
06-28-2019, 10:53 PM
If I assume the whole point of the post is that the OP wants a specific shade of lipstick for the least money, then the least expensive budget to get a FDE Stealth BA Evolution presented here is $1500 (I added $150 for vice, barrel nut wrench, go/no go gauges). Add whatever the OP thinks his time is worth. Subtract the personal value of a DIY job well done. Six to five and pick 'em.

Robinhood
06-28-2019, 11:06 PM
If I assume the whole point of the post is that the OP wants a specific shade of lipstick for the least money, then the least expensive budget to get a FDE Stealth BA Evolution presented here is $1500 (I added $150 for vice, barrel nut wrench, go/no go gauges). Add whatever the OP thinks his time is worth. Subtract the personal value of a DIY job well done. Six to five and pick 'em.

I don't disagree, however some people see or want something and do not understand or know all of their options. A post that does not help the OP can easily be overlooked unless there is something condescending or uncouth it is, IMHO acceptable. I have engaged in many conversations where I thought I knew what I wanted. A person with more knowledge help me make a better decision many times.

In this case many of the BA owners have been unhappy with how high the scopes are mounted and the difficulty in getting a proper cheek weld with that chassis stock option. If many of them knew that the may have been happier buying a Cabellas special model and put it in a KRG, McRees, XLR etc...