PDA

View Full Version : Precision Carbine Recoil Pad

cobia66
10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
Hi
I have a Precision Carbine in .308 and have had it only a short while with less than 50 rounds through it. Today I noticed that the bottom of the recoil pulls away from the stock when resting on its bipod and falls back into place after it is picked up, but upon further inspection, the bottom of the pad pulls away easily from the stock. I would use an adhesive of some sort to hold it together, but the PC has a hollow plastic stock so I have nothing to "glue" to(I'm not sure how Savage gets the pad to stay on the stock). Anyway, I was wanting to see if this could be fixed before it starts to pull away some more.
Thanks

madison
10-27-2010, 12:21 AM
cobia,

I have the same rifle and have noticed that as well. The recoil pad on these guns are very soft and as you mentioned they can pull away from the edges of the butt. I've had my gun since January and have taken it deer hunting this fall as well as spent hours with it at our range practicing and have not found this fact to be a hindrance or problem of any type. It can be a little disconcerting but unless you're really disturbed by the pad doing what you mentioned, I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

May be more trouble to find a "solution" than it's worth ;)

Good luck!

Aaron

82boy
10-27-2010, 10:46 AM
They use two different pads on them rifles. I believe what you got is what we call the "Stay Puffed Marshmallow" pad. This is common for these pads and there is no fix. You could get the other pad, but trust me with the light weight of the PC and it being in 308 you don't want it, unless you like bruised shoulders. Trust me, been there, done that, got the t shirt.

cobia66
10-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for advice, its good to know that it hasnt caused ya'll any problems. I took it to the range today and ,needless to say, it didnt hinder the rifles ability to "shoot" at all. I just measured the best 3 shot group with Federal Gold Match 168's and it shot a 0.292" group!

rjsixgun
10-30-2010, 09:19 AM
What if you take the recoil pad off and glue it to a piece of stiff plastic (as a backer) then screw it to the stock.
That should do the trick.

crackaloon
10-30-2010, 08:17 PM
That squishy foam was the first thing I noticed. If any of you guys come up with something a little better please feel free to share. I'll do the same.