PDA

View Full Version : How long do you store powder in the hopper of your metering device?

Pages : [1] 2

Bill2905
06-17-2019, 10:34 PM
it's a slow night here so I thought I would ask this burning question. I have read the disclaimers from powder manufacturers about how you should never store powder in the plastic hopper of your metering device. I used to keep it in there (covered of course) for several weeks at a time if I was loading frequently. Now I unload them after each use but this seems to be a little overkill. I'm wondering if it really hurts anything.

Any thoughts on this? What is the practice at your loading bench?

Ted_Feasel
06-17-2019, 10:36 PM
it's a slow night here so I thought I would ask this burning question. I have read the disclaimers from powder manufacturers about how you should never store powder in the plastic hopper of your metering device. I used to keep it in there (covered of course) for several weeks at a time if I was loading frequently. Now I unload them after each use but this seems to be a little overkill. I'm wondering if it really hurts anything.

Any thoughts on this? What is the practice at your loading bench?I've always emptied when I finished for the day. It's pretty quick to empty, probably takes one extra minute but I have a curious 12yr boy and 5 yr girl so i opt to take no chances.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mikeinco
06-18-2019, 01:12 AM
light can affect powder.
as soon as i am done loading
one powder out when loading, no powder out when not loading

PhilC
06-18-2019, 09:02 AM
Count me in on not storing powder in the hopper. It all returns to the air tight container it came from when my load session using that powder ends.

CFJunkie
06-18-2019, 09:29 AM
Another supporter for removing powder from the powder hopper after a reloading session.

I seem to remember seeing pictures of a plastic powder hopper that was seriously discolored because powder had been left in it for a significant amount of time, but that was years ago.
I think that picture set my habit for removing powder when I am done reloading.

I have only had 'senior moments 3 or 4 times in the last 9 years and left powder in the hopper over night after a late reloading session.
Normally, I remember empty out the hopper when I am done reloading.

JASmith
06-18-2019, 10:33 AM
I also caused my powder hopper turn from crystal clear to clear yellow.

Now I empty when the last bullet is seated.

Regarding the ‘senior moments’ mentioned earlier, I now store my powder on a separate room from the reloading area and bring only the can I plan to use to the powder dispenser.

JeepsAndGuns
06-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Count me in on not storing powder in the hopper. It all returns to the air tight container it came from when my load session using that powder ends.

Same thing here. When I am done, the powder gets put up before anything else.

bigedp51
06-18-2019, 12:56 PM
I left some H335 in my RCBS Chargemaster for three days and it ate into the green plastic base and had to be scraped off. The green plastic now has gray freckles and it gets emptied after every use. I now have to take the Chargemaster to a dermatologist once a year and have it checked for green skin cancer. :sorrow:

nksmfamjp
10-13-2019, 02:33 PM
Same day, unless I’m loading for several days. I will leave powder in the hopper for up to 1 week. No issue with the loads, but the hopper can change color sometimes.

this is when I’m trying to load 1000 rounds or more, in a session.

charlie b
10-13-2019, 05:01 PM
When I was shooting a lot of pistol (mostly .45acp) I would leave the powder in the hopper on my progressive press (Lee Loadmaster and autodisk powder measure). I always left the bottle of powder on the bench to make sure I knew what was in there. The Lee hopper had a slight coating of graphite on it from the powder but no other issues. The powder would stay in the hopper for up to a year of use, being topped up when necessary). Never had any issues with it.

BUT!!!! I live in the desert southwest with very little humidity. Even when it rains outside the indoor humidity rarely gets above 30%. If I lived in an area of higher humidity I would definitely empty the hopper each time.

These days I empty the hopper after each loading session, mainly because I change calibers so often. FWIW, one reason I like the Lee powder measures is the ease of emptying them. The hopper can be 'turned off' and lifted from the rest of the powder measure.

BB68
10-14-2019, 12:08 PM
With the above issues taken in account I would worry about forgetting what was in it, if you have several different calibers. Unless you do like Charlie does. Even that isn't fool proof if you have an OCD cleaning wife like mine.

charlie b
10-14-2019, 04:11 PM
LOL, or you forget and put the canister away. Amazing how similar powders look, and, yes, I have tossed a load of powder from the hopper cause I could not absolutely identify what was in it.

nfoley
10-26-2019, 10:09 AM
I have left powder in for couple months without issue.

psharon97
10-26-2019, 06:27 PM
I keep one powder on my bench and the same powder in the hopper. When I’m done, I empty the hopper in in power canister.

GaCop
10-30-2019, 05:58 AM
I empty mine when I'm finished loading.

Savage 94C
10-30-2019, 11:36 AM
Have been reloading metallic rounds since 1976 (not counting four years prior using Lee 12 gauge hand loader) and never leave any powder in RCBS powder hopper. Always went by what powder/reloading outfits advised "Do Not Do"! I've read of results from those who have admitted to leaving, ie. scoured and stained plastic, powder embedded inside of hopper, forgetting what powder was inside. Always empty when done, unless I plan on resuming reloading within the day with same powder. Doesn't take that long to pour back in canister and repour same powder. I bought a used Lyman #55 powder measure at a flea market several years ago that someone had left powder in for unknown period. Former clear plastic hopper stained yellow and inside looked and felt like someone had chipped it with a chisel. Used various grits of sandpaper to smooth out, yellow stain no, but doesn't affect use. Some like to bend and/or ignore rules, but sooner of later consequences catch up to them. Wore a badge for 21 years and saw the results of that.

Jester560
10-30-2019, 02:07 PM
The longest I have ever left powder in mine was overnight when I didnt get completely done loading.

Iowa Fox
11-07-2019, 09:01 PM
The longest I have ever left powder in mine was overnight when I didnt get completely done loading.

Same here. Yup its hard on plastic but I'm more concerned about mistakes.

coyote wacker
12-05-2019, 11:19 AM
Never ever have more than one powder on the bench at a time....

Always empty hopper as soon as I'am done for the day....

hardnosestreetcop
01-04-2020, 09:44 AM
Never ever have more than one powder on the bench at a time....

Always empty hopper as soon as I'am done for the day....

yeah what he said!