PDA

View Full Version : 7mm RUM to 375 H&H

Rick_W
06-13-2019, 06:19 PM
I have an old 3-screw trigger 116 Weather Warrior chambered in 7mm RUM (factory).

I've always wanted a .375 H&H - not a RUM, not a Ruger, etc, etc. I like the versatility of the H&H, even if I never go to Alaska or Africa to hunt.

Is this a feasible conversion? What needs to be done?

The H&H rim is .002" smaller.

The body of the H&H is, what I consider, considerably smaller than the RUM.

J.Baker
06-13-2019, 08:55 PM
Should just need a mag box and follower for the H&H round. Savage offered the .375 H&H on and off over the years when they were still staggered feed actions.

Rick_W
06-13-2019, 09:44 PM
Should just need a mag box and follower for the H&H round. Savage offered the .375 H&H on and off over the years when they were still staggered feed actions.
Thanks JB.

I figured a new mag box due to the feed lips, plus I wouldn't want t bugger up these (just in case I decided to go back to a RUM), but I didn't think about a new follower.

I've tried searching but was unable to find anything through Google.

Think Savage might still have an H&H mag box and follower?

Rick_W
06-13-2019, 10:02 PM
OK - so Numrich shows the mag box (Product # 1354310B) and follower (Product # 1354300B) are the same for the .300 RUM and .375 H&H.

The 7mm RUM and .300 RUM cases have identical dimensions except for neck diameter.

Just screw an H&H barrel on?

obssd1958
06-14-2019, 12:00 AM
Just screwing on another barrel is what I was planning on doing with my 7mm RUM - but the barrel that I bought was a small shank, and the action is a large shank (long story). I wasn't sure if I was going to use the existing bolt, or have to go to a Magnum bolt from one of my other rifles. Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to find out!
If you need a small shank .375 H&H barrel, I might know where you could find one!!

Rick_W
06-15-2019, 07:06 PM
Just screwing on another barrel is what I was planning on doing with my 7mm RUM - but the barrel that I bought was a small shank, and the action is a large shank (long story). I wasn't sure if I was going to use the existing bolt, or have to go to a Magnum bolt from one of my other rifles. Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to find out!
If you need a small shank .375 H&H barrel, I might know where you could find one!!
Thanks - but I'll need a large shank as well.