PDA

View Full Version : So where are we buying barrels from now?

Pages : 1 [2]

kohler
06-17-2019, 08:49 PM
I’ll admit to being on thin ice among the barrel experts. Bartlein custom made a ss .270 barrel. I gave them a 116 sporter barrel to match and it is about as close to a Savage sporter as a custom barrel could be. They chambered, crowned, and head spaced it too. They took the order saying they don’t do a lot of .270’s let alone in Savage sporter dimension requests. So I take it as good customer service they were willing to take on a pedestrian project. Maybe it was a little over $600 out the door.

yobuck
06-18-2019, 08:52 AM
3 inch group at 1000 yards!!!!!!!!! Do you mind giving your name. I would like to know who we are talking to. I'm certain most of us will know who you are.

That must have been on one of those very rare got "blown in" days. lol
So Frank, are you shootin all those trees down with the 338 or what?

psharon97
06-18-2019, 05:42 PM
I've got a custom barrel coming from Devin at Sinarms right now. Hopefully I'll be able to pick it up by end of July.

If it's a prefit, I usually go with Northland Shooters Supply.

fgw_in_fla
06-18-2019, 07:05 PM
That must have been on one of those very rare got "blown in" days. lol
So Frank, are you shootin all those trees down with the 338 or what?

Buck, if you really must know...

ABout 6-7 months ago I was running some load tests on one of my 338 Edge Monsters. The final 4 rounds of the last charge weight weren't looking too promising so I sent 3 downrange and the very last round I aimed for a 1/2 dead Water Oak. They're pretty much worthless anyway. They get infested with mistletoe and always look ratty so, I popped off a round of 103gr of N570 pushing a 215gr Sierra Game King.

As the bullet passes thru the tree I see shards of wood blow out the back, chuckled to myself and did an about face to head back to the shop.

3 seconds later I hear what sounds like the crackling of breaking wood. I look over my shoulder and down she went. I took a walk down to have a look. The bullet blew out a chunk about 24"x 8" wide along with a bunch of splinters.

So to answer your question, yes, I did do a little land clearing with a .338. By the way, that 28" barrel and load combo is sending those 215 SGK's at 3475 fps avg of 5 shots.

Some guys are easily amused...