PDA

View Full Version : Cases not ejecting

jtpistolero
10-20-2010, 10:49 PM
I have an issue with my 12FV .223. Whenever I work the bolt to eject a spent round, the case pretty much just falls into the magazine and never ejects. Last year I replaced some sort of copper ejector piece with a newer black one from the factory but it's still doing it. Any ideas as to what might be causing the issue.

scamp62
10-21-2010, 12:35 AM
$20.00 says it your ejector spring !

GaCop
10-21-2010, 04:52 AM
You may also need the larger detent ball as sold by Sharp Shooter Supply. It will uasually hold the case a bit tighter in the extractor.

Joe O
10-21-2010, 06:10 AM
Call customer service,and tell them your problem with the extractor not holding the case,and tell them,that while working it back and forth while lubricating,it flew off into nomans land,together with the spring and detent ball.They will send you new parts,and if your lucky,the new extractor will work.I would also put in the larger detent ball (9/64).

DGD6MM
10-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Don't lie. I'll probably get hammered for that, but so-what. A bigger detent ball is all you should need.

pdog06
10-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Don't lie. I'll probably get hammered for that, but so-what. A bigger detent ball is all you should need.

no hammerin here. it's not right. bottom line. the parts cost 3 friggin dollars at numrich so why lie to Savage to get a $3 part for free.

Dennis
10-21-2010, 01:05 PM
You may also need the larger detent ball as sold by Sharp Shooter Supply. It will uasually hold the case a bit tighter in the extractor.

Had the same problem with my 22-250, I bought a complete bolt from SSS and no problems since. I just like the SSS bolt web design, plus it works

5spd
10-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I had the same issue happen to my FP10, it was the extractor & that ran $5 at my local gun shop, replaced and bam, just kicks them out like mad.

jtpistolero
10-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys. I replaced the extractor last year and it seemed a little better, but I didn't shoot the rifle much until a few weeks ago. If I put the slightest pressure on the case when working the bolt, the case just falls off into the receiver. I have a new ejector spring on order from Savage and when the guys from Sharp Shooters get back, I will try a larger detent ball. I can't find those little balls for the life of me around town. Thanks again for the help.

claysshotgunner
10-22-2010, 05:47 PM
One thing you might do is go ahead and spend the $12 for a year to join this site. Once you do, you will be able to see the classified section. There is a guy on there now selling the balls.

thirty06
10-22-2010, 05:58 PM
I used #4 steel shot out of an old goose load. I too could'nt find ball bearings local.
Don't know how long it will last, but got a lifetime supply cheap.

5spd
10-22-2010, 08:35 PM
A steel ball from one of those 1/4" linch pins that home depot/lowes/hardware stores carry have the right size ball. Just cut the end off near the ball & out it pops, put under extractor, done.
I have plenty backups now.

jtpistolero
10-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have replaced the ejector spring and replaced the detent ball with a larger one and the problem still remains. Any other ideas at this point?

GaCop
10-28-2010, 05:48 AM
Certain brands of brass are slightly smaller at the head than SAMMI specs call for, that is most likely whats causing your current problem. Try different brands of brass to see which holds the best. Sharp Shooter Supply also machines new extractors with more "meat" on em so extraction/ejection is better.

Joe O
10-28-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I have replaced the ejector spring and replaced the detent ball with a larger one and the problem still remains. Any other ideas at this point?

After going through three extractors,(the last one the factory installed to correct the "drop"problem)when I got it back,it only
ejected 3 out of the first ten cases I tried.I asked Customer service(Great,BTW), to send me two extractors,and I would take care of the problem myself.The extractors they sent,were obviously better machined that the previout three that I had encountered.After installation ,the gun ejects with authority,every time,(any brand case).They sent along two of every bolt-head part,plus gifts ,which included a embrosed leather rifle sling.