PDA

View Full Version : Bergara Barrels

dsculley
10-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Did anyone else see the Shooting USA episode that highlighted Bergara Barrels? You can go to their website at bergarabarrels.com to check them out. They consulted with Ed Shilen to try and produce a custom grade barrel at production grade prices. There is a good video of their process. They developed barrels for the Remy folks using the Savage Barrel Nut System to make them as easy for barrel changes as the Savage. There is a good video of swapping a barrel.

Check them out and see what you think.

82boy
10-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Please do a search, this company has been covered in the past, and I highly suggest you look at what was said on this site, before you recamend or buy one of their barrels. The Remington guns using savage nuts has been done by several manufactures going back many years, it is not a new concept.

rossman40
10-22-2010, 01:36 AM
The barrels that started all the flak were made using a extrusion method. The barrel was extruded with the rifling already done. To compare the newer button rifled barrels to the older extruded ones for muzzleloaders is not fair.

Douglas even made barrels for muzzleloaders using extruded blanks, then drilling and rifling them. They had problems and quit using the method. You going to say all Douglas barrels are junk?

dsculley
10-23-2010, 08:52 PM
82Boy, I didn't recommend them. However if you watch the production videos I don't think you can find fault with the procedure they are using now. I don't know the history of the compay, and I don't really need to. After what I saw I would consider one of their barrels. One of the things I did find interesting is te way they hone the barrel prior to rifling it. Does much the same as hand lapping a barrel sfter rifling. They may have had problems in the past, but the way the barrels are tested with hot loads I don't see how there could be a problem with them today.