PDA

View Full Version : Steiner P4XI 4-16 review

want2ride
05-25-2019, 06:51 PM
I got a pair of Steiner P4XI 4-16 scopes from cameralandny when they were running an extra $50 off of the regular price sale. The first scope came in very short order, I got it within 4 days of placing the order... but there should have been 2 scopes. A short call back to them and they had another scope on the way along with an apology for the mistake.

I will start off with the bad, because it is a shorter piece to write before the things that I love.
The Bad...
1. The biggest thing! I was one of the unlucky ones to get a a very stiff elevation turret. When it was newly out of the box, I had to grab ahold of the turret with my index finger and thumb both wrapped around the turret and had to twist pretty hard in order to turn it. After a few minutes of wrenching back and forth a couple different times to turn it all the way up and down as many times as I could manage before my hand was sore, it finally loosened up a bit. Right now it is turnable with my fingertips to go up, but it is still really tough to go back to zero... but I can live with it. The other scope is just plain fantastic with all of the turrets!

2. A minor detail. The parallax in the same scope that has a tough elevation has a somewhat too easy to turn parallax knob. Not a problem, just figured I would note that it was there. Again, the other scope is perfect.

3. An annoyance. The scope doesn't come with sun shades or scope caps and there is no easy way to find out the size of the caps or to find a sun shade that will fit. Luckily there is a thread on snipershide that I found addresses this. I did use a rear scope cap from a Burris XTR2 that fits really tight... but it fits. The front scope cap might be a little tougher to find.

The Good.

1. I loved this! The turrets seem to be right on from what my app says. I have not run a tracking test, BUT, I dialed in the 5.6 mils that Strelok said to dial for my 6.5 PRC with factory 147 ELD Match ammo and made a first round hit on a 8" steel target at 828 yards. I pulled the trigger the second time and the bullet hit about an inch from the first impact... WOW! Then I dialed it back to zero, and asked my buddy if he wanted to try. He then dialed back up to 5.6 MILS and proceeded to put 2 shots on that 828 yard target about 4 inches above mine, and about 1 1/2 inches apart. I was super impressed!

2. WOW! The glass is REALLY good! I have a pretty good variety of scopes in the $700 to $1100 range and this is the best of all of them. I had my Burris XTR2 3-15 (that has better glass than my other 3-15, 4-20 and 5-25 XTR2's) at the range so I could do a side by side comparison with the P4XI. This particular XTR2 is pretty spectacular, and on previous trips to the range I had it next to my Zeiss V4 4-16 and it was every bit as good. The Steiner was a pretty significant step up in quality. It was just a lot clearer and brighter. I am not exactly a glass snob, and may not be the most discriminating, but this Steiner was awesome! a pretty good step up from anything I have! I have only really checked out the glass on one of the two scopes, so I don't have anything to say about the other.

3. nice. The turret has a colored button, or open spot that changes color when you get beyond the first revolution, so you always know what revolution you are on. The numbering is white on the lower tier and green on the upper and the little button is white until you get past the first revolution when it clicks over to green. I thought it was pretty neat!

4. It has a super nice reticle, the SCR reticle is just great! If you haven't seen it, go ahead and look, it is very nice and thin on max power and on low power all the hashes make the reticle very usable.

5. all the nice options. It has a zero stop and a lighted reticle... I have to have the zero stop on any new scope I buy, IT IS A MUST HAVE! I like the lighted reticle, I don't use it much, but it is a nice option. This particular lighted reticle has shut off clicks in between every turned on click. I thought that was pretty neat.

6. 56mm objective lens. At dusk it is pretty awesome!

All in all, it is a pretty great package... and for the price they are asking it is FANTASTIC! I got mine for $750, Are you kidding me, this was only $750?!?!?!