PDA

View Full Version : Hello, just wanted to get started building a Savage and I need some help

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Robinhood
05-25-2019, 04:00 PM
Lets start with budget. Then usage and expectations. A budget will tell us what your best options are based on the other 2 parameters. Savages are usually picked because of the nut and the cheap prefits that are available and because anyone who is halfway intelligent can head space one.

I know with your experience you already know this but since we don't know where you are, knowing your type of shooting/hunting does matter. A F-Class barrel and single shot stock will not work for a caribou hunt....

You have an action with no bolt: $145 - 160 for a ready to go bolt.
You need a barrel: $200 to $500+ for a prefit and $30 for a nut. $450 to $750+ for a shouldered barrel.
No stock: $150 -$900+

You didn't mention if it has a trigger. A good trigger and hangers may cost you $150 plus. Not included in the price below.

$525+ to build a bottom end rifle and around $1000 to $2000+ for the shiznit. Now, you tell us where you are and we will get you there.

You can get a fine SS savage 300 win mag for $654 + Transfer at Buds.

Or get yourself a Bighorn action. Bighorn TL3 or Origin, those and the cheaper Mausingfield as well as several other actions take savage prefits...for a reason. You can buy several different levels of actions from PTG for less than $1000. Im guessing with your experience this was already ruled out.

Now lets talk about scopes. Do you have one? Mounts? Rings?

As your experience tells you, you have lots of options.

Walz
05-25-2019, 04:06 PM
Lets start with budget. Then usage and expectations. A budget will tell us what your best options are based on the other 2 parameters. Savages are usually picked because of the nut and the cheap prefits that are available and because anyone who is halfway intelligent can head space one.

I know with your experience you already know this but since we don't know where you are, knowing your type of shooting/hunting does matter. A F-Class barrel and single shot stock will not work for a caribou hunt....

You have an action with no bolt: $145 - 160 for a ready to go bolt.
You need a barrel: $200 to $500 for a prefit and $30 for a nut. $450 to $750 for a shouldered barrel.
No stock: $150 -$900

You didn't mention if it has a trigger. A good trigger and hangers may cost you $150 plus. Not included in the price below.

$525 for a bottom end rifle and around $1000 to $2000 for the shiznit. Now, you tell us where you are and we will get you there.

You can get a fine SS savage 300 win mag for $654 + Transfer at Buds.

You can buy several different levels of actions from PTG for less than $1000.

Or get yourself a Bighorn action. Bighorn TL3 or Origin, those and the cheaper Mausingfield as well as several other actions take savage prefits...for a reason.

Now lets talk about scopes. Do you have one.

As your experience tells you, you have lots of options.

Really excellent ideas. I have a barrel 30-06 that's with the receiver, however it's not in good shape.

Thanks

Robinhood
05-25-2019, 04:10 PM
Really excellent ideas. I have a barrel 30-06 that's with the receiver, however it's not in good shape.

Thanks

Not much to work with WALZ

Walz
05-25-2019, 07:09 PM
Not much to work with WALZ
I'm fine, wait until I'm finished, this is going to be a awesome build. I never liked the factory from this era, old iron is my deal and this build won't be different. I don't purchase new stuff, I can build this using used parts and it will turn out awesome.

Robinhood
05-25-2019, 08:17 PM
Wasn't trying to be insulting. I asked a lot of questions and moved on to a 30-06 barrel that sounds like its not what you want. There is no doubt in my mind it will be an awesome build.

Walz
05-25-2019, 10:17 PM
Wasn't trying to be insulting. I asked a lot of questions and moved on to a 30-06 barrel that sounds like its not what you want. There is no doubt in my mind it will be an awesome build.

No insulting, I need some feedback on what I'm doing, I take and sort it out. This way I can tune my building ideas. It's not going to be perfect, but it's going to be a good moose hunting rifle.

My other rifles are specific hunting rifles for animals. A 45-70, 30-30, 30-06, .308, .22 long, etc.

Robinhood
05-25-2019, 10:56 PM
I have always wanted to hunt moose. I want to shoot one with my bow. Where are you located?

Dave Hoback
05-26-2019, 07:47 AM
I have always wanted to hunt moose. I want to shoot one with my bow. Where are you located?

Ah Rob... You crazy kids today with your fancy TWO ARMS & bows, I tell ya what! LOL! Hey! That’s some kinda coincidence that your name is Robinhood, and you are into bows... what are the odds?? :becky::becky:

Im betting he’s hunting in Alaska, Maine, New Hampshire or Washington. Otherwise....The Great White North or Scandinavia.

tobnpr
05-26-2019, 10:00 AM
I don't know anything about Savage rifles, where I'm from I don't see much of them. I work a lot on Remington, Winchester, Colt, Ruger, etc.

Thats why I'm asking about Savage rifles, to learn from input here and if the barrel nut is required so be it.

I thought the barrel nut was a option since all my 50+ rifles in my armory are standard barrels, none are Savage. I've fitted a lot of barrels to actions so I'm used to the long involved process.

In a sense you're correct, the barrel nut is optional on a Savage...it's that Savage builds their rifles this way from the factory.

Flip the coin, most any rifle can use this configuration- and some have become popular in the aftermarket, including Remington and Tikka.

Upside, with a few hundred bucks worth of tools- and no machine tool work, barrels can be installed onto a receiver and headspace adjusted by the nut.

Downside that few talk about, is that your barrel diameter is limited to the ID of the barrel nut- can't have a true, full-diameter bull contour barrel that many benchrest target shooter prefer.

I've not seen any evidence of accuracy differences based on nut vs. shouldered, and the floating bolt head design of the Savage helps mitigate some typical mass-produced machining errors (concentricity and perpendicularity precision).

If you have the skills and equipment to chamber and fit barrels, no need to go the extra expense (if we're ignoring that time is $$) for a prefit, just buy a .30 cal blank- and chamber for your .300 WM. Doing the chambering yourself gives you the flexibility to cut it how you want it, and you can rent a reamer for a one-shot deal without needing to purchase one.

PhilC
05-26-2019, 10:04 AM
I'm in WA and judging from comments thus far he ain't hunting moose here (very limited opportunities, once per lifetime if drawn), ID is possible, AK higher probability, but I'm betting Canada or some other country.

Walz
05-26-2019, 10:12 AM
:thumb:
I've found a 300 Win Mag barrel 100% blue with a muzzle break, and its NOS $125.00, exactly what I need.

:thumb: I've found a wooden stock and its NOS $60.00, nice condition, I'll have to seal it up inside and outside, with a Bid Casey Tru-Oil sealant to keep it moisture resistant.

:thumb: The receiver was $60.00 which isn't all that bad.

:peace::peace::peace::peace:

I'm zooming now!

I'll send out the receiver for bluing, protecting it, when I'm ready. I've got a master finisher that I've used on several occasions and he is the bomb. :)

Dave Hoback
05-26-2019, 10:24 AM
In a sense you're correct, the barrel nut is optional on a Savage...it's that Savage builds their rifles this way from the factory.

Flip the coin, most any rifle can use this configuration- and some have become popular in the aftermarket, including Remington and Tikka.

Upside, with a few hundred bucks worth of tools- and no machine tool work, barrels can be installed onto a receiver and headspace adjusted by the nut.

Downside that few talk about, is that your barrel diameter is limited to the ID of the barrel nut- can't have a true, full-diameter bull contour barrel that many benchrest target shooter prefer.

I've not seen any evidence of accuracy differences based on nut vs. shouldered, and the floating bolt head design of the Savage helps mitigate some typical mass-produced machining errors (concentricity and perpendicularity precision).

If you have the skills and equipment to chamber and fit barrels, no need to go the extra expense (if we're ignoring that time is $$) for a prefit, just buy a .30 cal blank- and chamber for your .300 WM. Doing the chambering yourself gives you the flexibility to cut it how you want it, and you can rent a reamer for a one-shot deal without needing to purchase one.

Is there an echo in here? Read my post #15. Yes, you can now use any contour up to 1.25” on a Savage! Bugholes fixed that!

Walz
05-26-2019, 10:45 AM
:p

Keep the ideas coming, I've got all of my reamers, barrel vices, no go gauges, lapping tools, a shit storm of tools.

Walz
05-26-2019, 01:19 PM
I'm really excited to start this project build, finding parts that are cheap original Savage is a bonus, and having them in really good condition is even better.

Robinhood
05-26-2019, 01:34 PM
The "Bugnut" does allow you to bolt up a larger major diameter barrel but the junction is still slightly weaker than a 1.250" barrel "shouldering" up it is exactly the same as the way Savage does it as far as strength goes. You will get some strength 1. 1/2 inches or so down the breach. If I need that i'm going with a large thread anyway and still butt it up. If I buy a 1.250" blank, Im not going to piss around with a 40 dollar lipstick on a pig. I am going to run it up to the recoil lug.

Robinhood
05-26-2019, 01:37 PM
I thought you found a good barrel. Now you got a reamer. I think it is all coming into view.

Walz
05-26-2019, 02:47 PM
I thought you found a good barrel. Now you got a reamer. I think it is all coming into view.

I've got all my tools, everything, a dozen reamers, you name it I got it, when I headspace, I'm gnats on. I only use factory ammo, the highest shot available.

Walz
05-26-2019, 02:48 PM
The "Bugnut" does allow you to bolt up a larger major diameter barrel but the junction is still slightly weaker than a 1.250" barrel "shouldering" up it is exactly the same as the way Savage does it as far as strength goes. You will get some strength 1. 1/2 inches or so down the breach. If I need that i'm going with a large thread anyway and still butt it up. If I buy a 1.250" blank, Im not going to piss around with a 40 dollar lipstick on a pig. I am going to run it up to the recoil lug.

Cool.

Dave Hoback
05-26-2019, 03:13 PM

You are just now seeing what’s going on here? I could call this one from a couple posts in. There are some questions a qualified gunsmith/builder doesn’t need to ask! Even a lowly home builder/DIY’er like me.

Walz
05-26-2019, 03:28 PM
You are just now seeing what’s going on here? I could call this one from a couple posts in. There are some questions a qualified gunsmith/builder doesn’t need to ask! Even a lowly home builder/DIY’er like me.

I never worked on building a Savage, so I'm a duck out of water.