PDA

View Full Version : Back in Build mode Question about SSS comp trigger and painting

Peter_Kirch
10-20-2010, 01:24 PM
Ok guys first,

1) I am wanting to take some of the slope out of the bolt, I have two choices either get an oversized bolt body from PTG, send it to Fred
and have him fit it and retrue the bolt. Which means I'll be waiting a few months.
OR
I have ordered some matte black Wheeler Engineering CeramaCoat. When I paint I could just
go ahead and paint the interior of the action (minus the breech).

I don't have a plug gauge so I am not sure how much slack needs to be taken up but Im sure it is only a few thousandths. Do any of
you guys have experience with the oversized bolts? Whats the difference in diameter between the factory bolt body and the
aftermarket one? I know the its hit and miss and that some factory bolts feel rather solid and have very little slop, but unfortunatley I
got one that has quite a bit.

Do you think painting would work adequately or should I go ahead and send it to Fred and have him do his thing?

2) I see that the comp trigger can only be set to a max of 2lb's. I would like a high quality trigger but I think 2lb's is a bit light, I'd rather
have something in the 3lb range, can a spring be substituted in the trigger to have it higher.

82boy
10-20-2010, 03:21 PM
I don't think paint will take out the slop, Most times paint is applied in a very thin layer. The question is: why do you have to take out the slop? The gun will shoot the same either way. IMO the PTG bolt body is a wast of money.

On the comp trigger I was able to crank one up to about 2 1/2 almost 3 lbs; but why do you need a trigger that heavy? The SSS trigger at its lightest setting will stay set, if you bump the gun. The safety will slide back to the safe position before the trigger will fire, with a great heavy drop. I would hunt with the trigger set at 12 oz, but that is just me.

rchouser
10-20-2010, 03:47 PM
You should be able to work your current trigger down to 3 lbs. Do you have an Accu-Trigger or a three screw? Just my 2 cents. rc

Peter_Kirch
10-20-2010, 04:05 PM
as for the slop....im just anal and its just been bothering me.

As for the trigger i hadn't had any experience with it so i guess if it'll stay set then no worries.
Right now i have an accu-trigger thats set at 2.25-ish lbs.

The comp trigger and the oversized bolt are just the last two things i was interested in doing.
but so far almost everyone has told me to quit being anal and go shoot ;)

so I'm just trying to get a feel for where i want to go.

GaCop
10-21-2010, 04:58 AM
There's always going to be some "slop" in the bolt due to the floating bolthead.

Peter_Kirch
10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
I completely understand. I actually would prefer a tad bit of slop just in case any debris happens to get in there. At the moment there is enough slop that when i run the bolt forward it can get sticky at times because it will be out of alignment