PDA

View Full Version : Which Vortex?

KWill
05-22-2019, 01:50 PM
Looking for assistance setting up a Savage 110 Tactical 6.5 Creedmore I bought for my son and his first antelope hunt. He's 16 and I'm 52, we are both from Iowa. He has 4 preference points for Wyoming and will draw the tag he put in for. He has wanted to do this hunt for awhile now (thus the point buying the last 4 years) I do not hunt but will gladly take him on the adventure. We researched the gun and bought the 110 Tact now we need a scope. More research says Vortex, but which one? I like the idea of a zero return and the ability to dial in a yardage but do not fully understand the dial scopes fully. $800.00 is my scope limit, any thoughts on which vortex model and why would be welcome.

SageRat Shooter
05-22-2019, 02:00 PM
Vortex PST GenII 5-25x50 will probably be your best bet... There is the HS-T model that is a little cheaper but is a SFP as apposed to the FFP in the PST Line. If you're not dead set on Vortex, then take a look at the Sightron Line... There is the S-Tac models and the SIII models. I have an SIII 6-24x50 that I went with over the Vortex PST line simply because of the tracking of the turrets, and the glass quality. You will lose a little of the glass quality on the S-Tac line but not on the turrets. S-Tac is SFP and SIII is FFP... edit... SIII does have a SFP model also.

The knock on the Vortex line is the tracking... Some are solid, some not so much.

Good luck to you, sounds like an awesome opportunity!!

celltech
05-22-2019, 02:36 PM
If you are set on Vortex and want a scope your son could grow with for a long time I would 2nd the PST Gen II. Being young and strong he will not mind hauling that weight around :p
Eurooptic.com has a MRAD 5-25 on sale for $699 right now: https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Viper-PST-5-25x50-EBR-2D-MRAD-FFP-PST-5257.aspx

6mmBR_Shooter
05-23-2019, 07:21 PM
I would also offer up that an illuminated reticule can be very handy in low light conditions over a dark target. Something else to consider.

efm77
05-25-2019, 06:57 AM
Vortex PST GenII 5-25x50 will probably be your best bet... There is the HS-T model that is a little cheaper but is a SFP as apposed to the FFP in the PST Line. If you're not dead set on Vortex, then take a look at the Sightron Line... There is the S-Tac models and the SIII models. I have an SIII 6-24x50 that I went with over the Vortex PST line simply because of the tracking of the turrets, and the glass quality. You will lose a little of the glass quality on the S-Tac line but not on the turrets. S-Tac is SFP and SIII is FFP... edit... SIII does have a SFP model also.

The knock on the Vortex line is the tracking... Some are solid, some not so much.

Good luck to you, sounds like an awesome opportunity!!

I’ll second this. I went with Sightron for the same reasons. However, I heard the S-tac uses SIII glass as well. I have both and if there’s a difference, my eyes can’t tell yet.

Robinhood
05-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Right now Athlon Ares BTR for $569. at many optics dealers. SWFA has them for 549. they are down to 2 or 3 right now.

want2ride
05-25-2019, 07:09 PM
I don't have any Vortex scopes, and if you aren't dead set on a Vortex... try one of these.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/Steiner-P4Xi-4-16x56-SCR/dbc51ea0-b5e0-0136-2c97-00163ecd2826?variation=1857314&query=5221

Robinhood
05-26-2019, 08:55 PM
OOOOOOOHHHHHHHH ^^^^^^^ Steiner!!!! Definitely in your price range too.