PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on a 338

Pages : 1 [2]

bc160
05-27-2019, 04:48 PM
Yobuck.
I couldn't agree more. I have shot quite a few game animals in the 5 to 7 hundred yard range with a variety of different calibers. That's not even considered long range anymore buy some standards but its a pretty far piece for me. The lapua was probably overkill for that yardage but it definitely gives you a but more confidence shooting. With that said I have also shot those distances with a 6.5-284 and the results have been great. I'm currently working with a 240 incinerator and the 115 Berger's. It would also probably do fine but I personally think it's a little small to shoot animals with at that range. That's why I was getting some ideas on what calibers were out there that might be a little less known and provide me with a bit more "thump"
I appreciate everyone's comments and ideas. Yobuck, what would you think of a 308 norma mag out to say 800 on game?

psharon97
05-28-2019, 10:42 PM
Have you looked at the 300 PRC as an alternative? It doesn't have the horsepower of the 338LM or the 300NM, but it should perform close if not edge out the 300WM without the belt. Also, it won't require a specialized action.

bc160
05-28-2019, 11:28 PM
That's a good idea. I will check into that since I have some actions laying around.

yobuck
05-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Yobuck.
I couldn't agree more. I have shot quite a few game animals in the 5 to 7 hundred yard range with a variety of different calibers. That's not even considered long range anymore buy some standards but its a pretty far piece for me. The lapua was probably overkill for that yardage but it definitely gives you a but more confidence shooting. With that said I have also shot those distances with a 6.5-284 and the results have been great. I'm currently working with a 240 incinerator and the 115 Berger's. It would also probably do fine but I personally think it's a little small to shoot animals with at that range. That's why I was getting some ideas on what calibers were out there that might be a little less known and provide me with a bit more "thump"
I appreciate everyone's comments and ideas. Yobuck, what would you think of a 308 norma mag out to say 800 on game?
I think there are quite a few very good cartridges today for taking game at long distances.
I would personally rule out anything less than .284 because of bullet weight.
When you can achieve equal or more velocity with a 160 gr class bullet over a 140 gr class its a no brainer for l/r hunting.
Likewise when you can do the same with a 30 cal over a 7mm.
That said if all your shots are under 1000 yds which most are, pretty much any will work well.
I feel how well we shoot is more important than what we shoot to a large degree.
All l/r hunters in PA shoot from some type of bench mostly due to terrain conditions.
No doubt that can improve the shooting of marginal shooters of any age.
As for my personal preference, it's a pretty easy call for where I hunt, If I hunted elsewhere, it might be different.
Currently I own 7x300 wby, 300 Norma, and 338 Cheytac.
If I were starting over today I would own just one, and that would be the 300 Norma.
We have killed one deer in about 7 years with the Cheytac that we could have just as easily killed with the 300 Norma or a 300 Ultra.
With all the b s talk about distance, one thing is always left out. You have to find them first, and in places like PA that can be very difficult due the conditions we encounter for the most part.

efm77
05-29-2019, 09:09 AM
Only thing about the PRC is that, just like the RUM, you will have to modify the magazine to make it a repeater. The case isn't as long but the bullet is seated so far out that it requires a full length magnum magazine.

psharon97
05-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Only thing about the PRC is that, just like the RUM, you will have to modify the magazine to make it a repeater. The case isn't as long but the bullet is seated so far out that it requires a full length magnum magazine.

I'd have to disagree. The 300 Win Mag has a case length of 2.62" while the 300 PRC is 2.58". The 300 RUM has a case length of 2.85" which would require modifications to the magazine box.

efm77
05-30-2019, 05:59 AM
You can't go by just the case length. You have to look at the overall length of a loaded round and the PRC is longer at 3.7" according to Hornady vs around 3.34" for the win mag. So yes the case is shorter but if loaded according to Hornady's spec's, it's not gonna fit. All the articles I've read on it say it takes a full length magnum magazine.